Thursday 11 March 2021

Walk up to Akeake Pa Site



On Tuesday morning after B had gone to work I drove out to Opito Bay (our fishing launching spot for our boat) with the intention of exploring the nature walk there that leads to the Ake Ake Pa Site. Most nature walks managed by our Department of Conservation are dog free because of the kiwis that live in this area.




These are the first lot of steps at the start of the nature walk, weirdly enough it was at this spot I felt a sharp stabbing pain on the front of my ankle. I looked down, opened my sock and found a wasp hanging off my skin trying to sting me. After swiping it away the pain continued for another 15 minutes then gradually eased off - luckily I'm not allergic to insect stings.




This was looking back after the 2nd set of stairs - quite a nice even pathway uphill.




I was the only one there so it was so nice and peaceful even with the sound of Tuis singing away and the odd Fantail flitting around me curiously.




On my journey around the loop I counted about 6 possum traps all up. Possums here are not native, they were introduced through colonisation but now unfortunately they eat the native trees and plants so they are definitely not wanted.




At one pointed I saw this whiteboard leaning against a tree written by a Department of Conservation worker about some of the other traps that people had stolen.




After a 15 minute walk I reached the lookout point at the top of the Pa Site - amazing views looking out over the peninsula. The water is still still like a mirror - it would've a perfect day's fishing out there.




This part is the Tareha lookout point and offers views also over the Te Puna Inlet, Motupapa Island, Moturoa Island and the Kent Passage.




The original people of this Pa (maori village or defensive settlement) interacted with the earliest missionaries who sailed past on the way to the Kerikeri Mission Station (Store Store and Kemp House).




A chief named Tareha was an ally of Hongi Hika (who cut the flagpole down at Waitangi) gave his support to the local missionaries. He was well known for his bravery and skill in leading the warriors into battle.




He was also known for his huge size being a big man and large appetite. When missionary Samuel Marsden invited him on board his ship "Dromedary" there was not a large enough chair for him to sit in.




The first locality to attract the early whalers was the Te Puna area (near the river inlet), Chief Akeake would have contact with the traders through observation from the Pa.




Not much fungi up there but it's possibly the wrong time of year as we are in very early Autumn so maybe in a month or so there may be more.



Linking up with Timeless Thursdays and Skywatch Friday

17 comments:

Tom said...

...your sure had some overcast skies!

local alien said...

What a walk and a view. You got a good work out up those steps. Interesting history.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

It may have been a pain to start with but the hike to that view was well worth the effort, awesome. Hope there was no after effect from the wasp sting

William Kendall said...

Beautiful views!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Ow on the wasp! But otherwise a lovely nature walk in your Autumn weather. Possums are abundant here in the US Pacific Northwest and also are not native to this part of our country. It is said they were brought here by wagon train pioneers from our southern states. I guess they liked to hunt and eat them (yuk).

Iris Flavia said...

Wow, what a beautiful walk - despite the sting, ouch, I know how that hurts, I once grabbed into a bee...
Aw, beautiful nature walk, and you have a boat, how lovely! The water looks great, so still and peaceful!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I had a similar experience to your wasp sting walking in the grass in my yard. A sharp pain in my foot and there was a bee giving me the dickens. I called the yard guy and said come do a cut again. Bees are after me!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Beautiful photos and I loved the history back story of the site. I am a sucker for a winding easy trail.

Jim said...

Great shots.

Bill said...

The photos are beautiful. I would enjoy walking there, so nice and peaceful. So sad there are people removing those traps.

At Home In New Zealand said...

I heard DOC say on TV this week that opossums, weasels and rats are the three biggest threats to our native wildlife and environments and we need to do all we can to control and/or eradicate them. So why would anyone be stupid enough to destroy traps?
That view was certainly worth the walk up all those steps - and the wasp sting! It is great that we have places like this we can visit :)

My name is Erika. said...

That looks like an wonderful walk and even more amazing view.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Wow, what a beautiful lookout point! Looks well worth the hike up to me. Gorgeous photos, and glad the wasp sting wasn't too severe!

carol l mckenna said...

What a magnificent spot and gorgeous photos ~ ^_^

Living moment by moment,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Thomas Lee/Lee Lip Pang said...

stunning lookout point view

Light and Voices said...

Greetings and Salutations from Illinois! I enjoyed the cyber tour. Gorgeous lookout point! Sorry a wasp was hanging on your sock. Hope all is well this week end. Tip: mix baking soda and water to make a paste. It will take out the stinger.

Stevenson Q said...

Oh Amy! That lookout point is such a treasure after your walk! Oh if only we have nature escapes like those here in the Philippines. I'm sure there are in the provinces but not as paved as these ones in NZ :)

Pavement

  A neat and tidy pavement lined alleyway/shopping area in Paihia. Linking up with  Weekend Reflections   and the  Weekend Roundup .