Tuesday 23 June 2020

A visit to Rangikapiti Pa




Road trip time! Yesterday the other half and I drove out 45 minutes to Mangonui to visit 2 historical Maori Pa sites. This was one of them - Rangikapiti Pa which was a significant site for the Ngati Kahu tribe and their ancestor Moehuri who made land fall here in his canoe.



There are amazing views over the Mangonui Harbour, terraces which were used for gardening and housing with defensive ditches around the mountain. It was extremely windy when we were standing on top so it must've been very fortified with fences for protection.



This monument was placed here in 1880 and gives tribute to what once was as well as the longitude, latitude and sea level.



Apart from some pohutukawa, most of the reserve is covered in regenerating manuka while the rest is covered in grass. This was an easy walk up hill that took us about 10 minutes and from the other side of the pa we had views over Coopers Beach and Doubtless Bay.



Here's an idea of what it would've looked like. Stay safe - kia kaha.

16 comments:

Tom said...

...gorgeous views, it was worth the drive!

Susan Heather said...

It is lovely up there isn't it.

Stewart M said...

Great pictures - lets hope that we can visit again (reasonably) soon!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Wonderful photos!

Tigger's Mum said...

Way further north than I ever managed - but on my bucket list now. Those bays and inlets are beautiful. Thank you for the guided tour.

Sharon said...

What a fantastic view!

carol l mckenna said...

Fascinating place and awesome photos ~ ^_^

Be Safe, Be Well,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Bill said...

Wow, what beautiful views you captured.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Beautiful scenery and great photography . Even better is the history I learn from you and also I really appreciate the respect and honor you give to your Native People.

Pauline said...

Great spot for the views and the clouds just add to the beauty. I'm yearning or a trip north now.

Nanchi said...

Kia Ora! What a wonderful site. I wish we also can travel soon.

https://nanchi.blog/

Veronica Lee said...

Fascinating photos! The scenery is spectacular!

Graham Edwards said...

I'm yearning for another safari up North with Pauline! I'm afraid I'll just have to yearn.

Amy said...

If you came back there are so many places I could recommend to you.

betty-NZ said...

There is so much to see and explore in NZ, I don't see why people want to go overseas for holidays! Like you, I am quite happy to discover (with Hubby's research) interesting and poignant places like this. Great images!

I'm glad you are a part of 'My Corner of the World' this week! Thanks for linking up.

Lady Fi said...

Wonderful views!

Westport News

  This has been one of the early buildings in Westport from the 1870s that is still being used for the local newspaper, so much old Victoria...