Friday 15 November 2019

Ngati Manuhiri - Iwi Guardians

It's been an interesting week so far. Yesterday I started at the new job, I found out it is only casual work over Christmas which suits me far more than permanent work. It means if and when we decide to move I'm not tied down.




Anyway I discovered this Pou Whenua (land post) on our last visit to Goat Island.  I have a thing for carvings and sculptures, I think they're extremely artistic. This one reminds me of a Maori Taniwha stands at the entrance and looks out over the protected marine reserve. I'm not sure who the artist is but it belongs to a local tribe of Ngati Manuhiri who used this area once upon a time as a good gathering place traditionally handed down from their Hawaiki ancestors.

9 comments:

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Hoep you get over your problem. Nice little area with the carvings

Graham Edwards said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your dizzy spell. I do hope that it was an isolated event.

A lot of the Maori carvings I've come across are more interesting when they are explained.

At Home In New Zealand said...

Take care, Amy. Make sure you take it easy over the weekend so that you feel fit and fantastic again next week. Mxx

William Kendall said...

It sounds very much like what I had several years ago. By the time I went to the doctor, the infection had passed, but they said if it happened again to go on in and get medication for it.

Susan Heather said...

Sorry to hear you are not well, what bad timing with the start of a new job. Really must get down to Goat Island - I have never been there.

Serenata said...

Hope you are feeling completely better very soon.

Always interesting to read about what the sculptures mean and represent. I haven't been to Goat Island for years. Dad and I meant to go this year, but his serious car accident put paid to that unfortunately. Hopefully next year.

Bill said...

Hope you're doing better. Nice photos, Amy.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I like this sort of art too ...beautiful in itself and an homage to the history and people of the area. Stay well!

NatureFootstep said...

those peoples were very good at craftmansship and sculpture :)

Westport News

  This has been one of the early buildings in Westport from the 1870s that is still being used for the local newspaper, so much old Victoria...