Monday 15 July 2024

Rock hunting

 


Over the weekend B and I we were at the Arahura River again which is nearer to Hokitika than Greymouth. Most of you probably know I am a bit of a rock nerd and so I like to explore places for new things.



This photo was taken with me sitting on some rocks and putting my camera down just above the water line. It was a crispy Winter's day with a high of 12 degrees celsius so warn with the sunshine out.



These are similar to the ankle high gumboots I bought recently but with a different colour and pattern on them so I was able to step in the river a wee bit as we walked across.

And this is the end result of what I found - I think there are a couple of bits of possible Pounamu in this.

Linking up with Through my lensTuesday TreasuresMy corner of the world and Wordless Wednesday.

18 comments:

magiceye said...

Lovely collection of rocks!

At Home In New Zealand said...

Your rock hunting sounds like fun and you have found an intriguing mixture of colours there.

doodles n daydreams said...

I thought you might have some pounamu in their as well, regardless, it's a nice collection of stones.

gz said...

Rocks are fascinating!
I have a few groups of souvenirs sitting around here!

Veronica Lee said...

Your rock hunting adventure sounds delightful.
The photo you took is beautiful, and your gumboots look perfect for exploring.

Happy Monday, Amy!

roentare said...

These rocks look so fascinating

s.c said...

The rocks look indeed great and those gumboots too. The shape some kind of specialty from Australia if I am correct.

DawnTreader said...

An interesting variety you found there!

Graham Edwards said...

I'm not a rock collector although my brother nearly filled his house with them! I do have some very special ones though. Wendy, of my New Zealand family, when they were staying recently collected a lot from the shore below my house. Of course they are still here and I suppose I'll just have to return them to the shore.

Sharon said...

I love hearing the rushing water.

Iris Flavia said...

Sounds like another great day! Thank you for sharing.

Bill said...

I've collected rocks through the years and still have a small collection of them.

local alien said...

Love your gumboots. Hope there was some poinamu. What a find

Lydia C. Lee said...

YOur third photo is stunnging. Great shot #ThruMyLens

NCSue said...

It appears you had quite the successful hunt!
Thank you for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2024/07/zen-garden.html

Tom said...

...I find "rocks" to be fascinating!

csuhpat1 said...

That sounds like a beautiful day in a peaceful place. You found some beautiful rocks.

William Kendall said...

A lovely river.

Cafe

  Here in New Zealand there is a big South African community in various towns and cities. This one in Hokitika sells mostly products like Bi...