Auckland Museum Band Rotunda

 

photo a bit blurred as we were driving past at the time.

I've posted a few times now of different band rotundas I've seen around New Zealand. I love the old fashioned architecture especially of this one I saw in the Auckland Museum Domain last November. 

This one was established in 1882 after architect Henry Edmonds submitted plans for it to the Recreation Ground Board (as it was called back then). The band rotunda was a gift from a prominent Auckland biscuit manufacturer J.M. Mennie and recently it was being restored to it's original colours.


Now back then Auckland was busy being colonised so this photo above shows how many people would spend the day here, it's still a beautiful spot in the middle of the city, one of my favourites. I'm guessing brass music was popular back then and with no televisions this was probably a great day out for families.

News from me: the last week has been very very busy. I've been learning all sorts of new bits and pieces of technology at work so it's all been a bit of a brain explosion but at least I'm working - there are many people out there who don't have jobs or money so I consider myself fortunate.

Linking up with Through my lensTuesday TreasuresMy corner of the world and Wordless Wednesday.

Comments

roentare said…
The rotunda in Bendigo looks very similar!
Tigger's Mum said…
I do love a band rotunda. Even better when they get used regularly
magiceye said…
Interesting history.
DawnTreader said…
I like those too. We have like an outdoor stage in our town park, but it's fairly new and "boring" - more practical than aesthetic...
Tom said…
...it's a beauty in a lovely setting.
NCSue said…
Great shots! I bet they have some fun events there.
Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2024/02/meet-forrest.html
I love black and white world
Rudbekia said…
Very nice city.
Rudbekia said…
Very nice city.