Tuesday 3 January 2023

Eggsactly...

 

 

So December came and went, now we are onto January. It was a very quiet new year's even for us, B and I worked until 9pm and after we came home it was time for a cup of tea then bedtime. We discovered a new Apple Crumble Pie that was in the freezer section at work so we enjoyed that with some custard and summer wouldn't be the same without chips dipped into the traditional kiwi dip consisting of reduced cream mixed with onion soup and an added squeeze of lemon juice. Once refrigerated for a good hour or so it's very refreshing on a hot day.

And I took this quick snap of our 1/4 acre backyard section looking at the side of the house and our neighbour across the road. The boys have been busy using our new ride on lawn mower  to keep it trim on the average 24 degree celsius days. I'm even contemplating getting chickens to give us fresh free range eggs now that cage eggs have been banned here, apparently companies were given notice back in 2012 that they were going to be fazed out and now supermarkets across the country are all running short. I'm not sure about the Chickens though, my cousin has some but I'm wondering about the upkeep.

Linking up with Through my lensRuby TuesdayTuesday TreasuresMy corner of the world and Wordless Wednesday.

12 comments:

At Home In New Zealand said...

When we kept chickens years ago, we found the cost of food for them made their eggs (which weren't always frequent) more expensive than buying them. But the taste of the fresh eggs, plus the joy of having hens clucking around the place, more than made up for that.
I love traditional onion dip - which makes it dangerous to have around here because I always want to eat all of it!
Have an awesome year ahead :) xx

Down by the sea said...

Hi Amy, Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog it will be lovely to visit your developing garden. Hope you new trees and your family are settling in well to your home. Sarah x

Bill said...

It's good that they fazed out caged hens. I wonder if it will catch on around the world.

roentare said...

This is so great to have a big backyard. I miss having one since I last sold the house

Susan Heather said...

What a lovely big garden. I miss having hens but they are a tie.

William Kendall said...

That dessert looks good.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Wild about the eggs not being available. The price has skyrocketed here because of the avian flu. If even one chicken has it then all the chickens on the farm have to be sacrificed and sometimes it goes into the hundreds of thousands.

Lachezar said...

Happy New Year Amy!
Learned something today! First time I hear about reduced cream and onion soup! Amazing.
Good luck with the chickens!
With veggie prices through the roof we’ve been expanding our veggie patch…

local alien said...

That dip is wonderful . The ingredients are brought to us now and again . I'm the one who eats it all of course.
Your egg situation is strange. Where are all the eggs going now they're not sold in the supermarket ?

Iris Flavia said...

Working till 9pm?!
Your food sounds very weird, LOL!!! So weird I am tempted to try it!
Come our summer, that is!
Oh, your house is a dream!
Maybe you want to share the inside?
And I bet those eggs are super-yummy.

Tom said...

...eggs have gotten expensive and hard to find here!

Pisi Prkl said...

I buy free ranged eggs in my local grocery. 10 pack is 2,49€. Prizes has raise some 35% due to Ukrainian situation (i.e. Russian´s War). 💙💛

ANZAC Day 2024

  Photo from 2014 of Mangawhai Cadets on Anzac Day Today for us Kiwis is ANZAC Day which is incredibly important to those of us in the sout...