Saturday 20 August 2022

Greymouth Courthouse


 Another heritage building here is this one, looks a bit foreboding and reminds me a bit of the old section of Mount Eden Prison. It was built during a major period of government construction, it reflects the state of development in the first 45 years of the town's existence.

It has a category 1 historic places listing from Heritage NZ and was in use until 2007 when a new district courthouse was built. These days it's also earthquake prone and unable to be used. btw that's my little car in the middle of the photo.

Linking up with Weekend Reflections and the Weekend Roundup.

9 comments:

William Kendall said...

I rather like it.

Lydia C. Lee said...

Wow. It's funny to think of small buildings as earthquake prone (I tend to think of it as a problem with skyscrapers or multistory) but I realise now that's not how it works at all....#Weekendreflection

Tom said...

...it's a MAZDA?

Pauline said...

I was going to say you couldn't have picked better vehicles to have parked outside that impressive building. Clever you to find a parking spot between those other two.

Jim said...

Amy, I like your little car. My driving car is a 1998 Ford Mustang GT Convertible, it is also small. But a lot faster than your driver, I have had it up to 140 miles an hour and then backed off. I like the old courthouse also, so tourists, are they allowed in or is it not safe? I see it is opposite side of NZ from Christchurch, I suppose you go there some. We liked Christchurch, most was the navel preparedness station for Antartica work training.
..

At Home In New Zealand said...

Love these old buildings :)

Sharon said...

What an interesting looking building.

James said...

Very interesting. For some reason, it seems like it should be a larger building.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

I lovely looking building Amy. I am just back from Sweden and I hope you have a great week ahead.

ANZAC Day 2024

  Photo from 2014 of Mangawhai Cadets on Anzac Day Today for us Kiwis is ANZAC Day which is incredibly important to those of us in the sout...