Tuesday 3 May 2022

Blackball Hilton Hotel


Just out of Greymouth is the tiny town of Blackball where there are houses scattered here and there along the main street including one that has it's front fence covered in conspiracy theory signs but this historic building is the local hotel - the Blackball Hilton is famous for it's dispute with being the place that the Labour Party was formed over a pint of beer. The town had the longest running miner's strike which happened in 1913.  

Linking up with Through my lensTravel TuesdayTuesday TreasuresMy corner of the world and Wordless Wednesday

10 comments:

Lydia C. Lee said...

Guessing they use the term Hilton loosely?

William Kendall said...

Looks like a place with character.

Pauline said...

I was reading about that miner's strike recently, Amy. That place sure is rich with history.

Veronica Lee said...

Looks like a nice place to stay.

Happy Tuesday, Amy!

local alien said...

Lots of interesting places down there, especially the Blackball. I've only passed through that area once like 'a hundred years ago' lol but my grandmother's family is from down there and I've heard a lot of tales. Love hearing yours now

NCSue said...

Interesting place, though I could do without conspiracy theories!
Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2022/05/try-some-yummy-pretzel-rolls.html

Tom said...

...I love the style with the second floor porch.

Bill said...

Makes me think of the buildings back in the days of the wild wild west in the US. Interesting history of the place.

At Home In New Zealand said...

I love these old hotels (they always look so grand) and this one sure has some history to go along with it.

Einari Sinappi said...

Nice enough place. Is the Bar still open? I´ll have a cold one. 🍺

ANZAC Day 2024

  Photo from 2014 of Mangawhai Cadets on Anzac Day Today for us Kiwis is ANZAC Day which is incredibly important to those of us in the sout...