Tuesday 19 April 2022

Ohaaki Power Station


One place B was eager to visit while we were in Taupo last year is Ohaaki Power Station just outside of town. It's a geothermal powered and operated by Contact Energy and it is the only one in the country to have a 105m high natural draft cooling tower.

Edited to add: We will be travelling to the South Island this week for our move so I may not be around until maybe Saturday or Sunday so apart from my posts being automatically set I will see you all then.

Linking up with Through my lens, Travel Tuesday, Tuesday Treasures, My corner of the world and Wordless Wednesday

11 comments:

NCSue said...

Interesting - were you able to get any closer to learn more about it?
Thank you for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2022/04/ukranian-church-national-shrine-of-holy.html

Bill said...

Nice photo composition!

magiceye said...

Enjoy your trip!

Veronica Lee said...

Interesting capture, Amy.

Happy Tuesday!

Tom said...

...at first glance I thought that was cooling tower for a nuclear power plant. It's wonderful to the geothermal engery.

local alien said...

Have a great move! It's a big change. Take loads of photos!!

Iris Flavia said...

Some subject. I payed way too much for a breadroll and Ingo said it needs to get more expensive, just like the energy we rely on to.
Have a good and safe trip. Fun, too!

At Home In New Zealand said...

Thanks Amy, I have often wondered exactly what that tower was used for and now I know.
Hope your trip south goes well and the weather is kind to you. Take care, Mxx

William Kendall said...

Well composed.

Einari Sinappi said...

That´s one big #ss cooling tower. Don´t have them in Finland I believe. We have 4 nuclear power plants and 5th on it´s way. But they lack this feature.

betty-NZ said...

Thanks for sharing your link at My Corner of the World this week!

ANZAC Day 2024

  Photo from 2014 of Mangawhai Cadets on Anzac Day Today for us Kiwis is ANZAC Day which is incredibly important to those of us in the sout...