Thursday 3 February 2022

Westport Municipal Chambers


One from Westport on New Zealand's West Coast. This iconic building in this town is glowing in Motueka Sand and was planned to be the local town hall. This one was built in 1941 but the original one was built in 1873 after coal started flowing out of the port and the town began to grow but the materials used back then which was roughsawn timber and corrugated iron were not going to last into the next century.

The local council then commissioned this building possibly designed by architect Archibald MacDonald) during a period of depression in which the war then followed. Sadly it still goes unfinished despite a public funding campaign that was started in the 1960s.

So yesterday my 2 adult children and I had to get covid tested. Sigh, long story. They both work full time at McDonalds, apparently last week it was a place of interest where a positive case had been. 2 of their co-workers have tested negative but late Tuesday afternoon the 3 of us started feeling under the weather....sore throat, headache, snotty nose, feeling lethargic. So we are all waiting for our results to come through and unfortunately it's put a spanner in the works with us being able to work. We're staying home and isolating to be on the safe side but fingers crossed we test negative too. If we all weren't triple vaxxed I dread to think how we'd be feeling...EDITED TO ADD: our tests came back negative.

Linking up with Skywatch Friday.

18 comments:

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Reminds me of the WWII memorial in Portsmouth,

Tom said...

...I love this building's style. I hope that the testing come back negative, take care and stay well.

Bill said...

I hope the building will get updated, it's a beauty. Good luck with the Covid test results hopefully they will come back negative. Fingers crossed for you.

At Home In New Zealand said...

I'm sorry to hear you are not feeling well, Amy. I hope you and the children all test negative and you are only dealing with a cold. Take care of yourself, Mxx

magiceye said...

Cool design.

Hope that your results are negative 🤞

William Kendall said...

Beautiful architecture.

At least with the present variant its effects are much less bothersome.

Einari Sinappi said...

At the moment I work part time in eldelry care. So plenty of changes to get infected. Me and my boss are just fine but the rest of our team is sig with Corona. Dodged it so far, week to 3th vax. I wish all the best to you and yours.

Iris Flavia said...

Great building.
Ingo has to get tested every day (except Saturday), it´s a pain.
Standing in line in the cold, kinda contra-productive, is it.
And I heard of so many cases of people vaccinated and all, positive with symptoms.
Fingers crossed you get out negative. Here it takes 15 minutes to get the result.

local alien said...

Thank goodness you're all fully vaxxed but isolating till you get the results must be so frustrating. Hope they are all negative and you only have the sniffles.
That's a lovely building. Such a warm colour

Sharon said...

What a great looking building.
That dreaded virus is catching up with all of us. I had a doctor appointment on Monday and yesterday they called to tell me I had been exposed. No symptoms yet but it certainly does mess up plans.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Interesting looking building! Amazing that it is still not finished.

I hope that your tests turn negative. I feel like the virus is closing in on me here. So many friends, relatives, and former coworkers have had it. I have allergies and there has been a bunch of times the past couple years when I wake up and think that I have it and then I don't.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh my lord that added edit made me happy for you all. Thank goodness. But sorry for the cold and hope it goes away quickly. We both have certain allergies and every time we sneeze now I get worried (where I didn't used to even hardly notice). .... the material in that building is beautiful, too bad it isn't finished.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I love the building, a very striking appearance.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

hope you test is negative - like the building

Spare Parts and Pics said...

So glad they came back negative! That's a beautiful building. I like the golden color and clock facade.

Photo Cache said...

That is one impressive building. It has a feel of "official business conducted here".

Worth a Thousand Words

Light and Voices said...

Greetings and Salutations! I am glad that your tests came back negative.

Graham Edwards said...

Well I'm glad to hear that you are all negative. I hope that you are feeling better as well.

ANZAC Day 2024

  Photo from 2014 of Mangawhai Cadets on Anzac Day Today for us Kiwis is ANZAC Day which is incredibly important to those of us in the sout...