Thursday 5 August 2021

Mangonui Public Cemetery


This is one of the more modern newer cemeteries in the far north. Mangonui Public Cemetery was established in 1954. There is a gardener's cottage to the left and a flagpole at the top, the bottles of water are for those who believe that when you leave a cemetery you should wash your hands.

So as life goes on in the world of the living, we got news on Tuesday morning that my car had finally been bought up from Auckland by our insurance company and had arrived at the mechanic's so we popped down there to check it out. Apart from the missing lock on the door handle, the ignition and my Canon camera it looked the same, was good to see no other damage but the one other thing the thief took was a box of disposable gloves that I use for my job as a support worker, guess he'll probably use it for future illegal endeavours. Luckily I had an older camera (a Fuji Finepix 14mpx) that I use to use about 8 years ago in the bedroom cupboard which use to be my favourite so I've got that as backup. Hoping the car will be back by early next week...

Lastly has anyone received any emails from Blogger saying your blog has been reported for phishing? (I'm assuming this is scamming). I got one yesterday morning then another one later on saying it had been reinstated. No idea what that was about?!?

Linking up with Skywatch Friday.

17 comments:

Tom said...

...washing your hands when you leave a cemetery is interesting.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Ooh I got behind and must have missed the post about the car burglary (or else I forgot -- that's possible, I am old ;>))) -- anyway what a total bummer. Glad you have a backup camera and hope the insurance comes through and your car is as good as new.

Tigger's Mum said...

Amy - after i got your sad news about Bunny i went to your blog to leave a meaage to say how sorry we are to read that and say give Bruno extra love and plant a specisl tree gor Bunny - and got a messsge that your blog had been removed. Every way I tried there was the same mesage. Im so relieved to see you are back again. You don't need to post this message - illsend another with a comment about the post. Mr T has been cleared of all suspected health problems and been declared simply fat and lazy - so its rations and exercise for him.....

Tigger's Mum said...

Pleased to read you will get your car back without serious damage. I hope insurance replaces your camera, but if you took this picture with your older one then the picture speaks to the eye of the photographer which the best camera in the world can't improve if the person pointing and pressing the shutter hasn't got it in the first place.

Iris Flavia said...

Why wash your hands after the visit, and then from a bottle that everybody touched before doing this?
Glad you get your car back and have such a good back-up cam.

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, no mail like that from blogger, but I can´t edit my blogroll anymore...

Amy said...

This is in a very small town that hardly anyone visits, we have no vivid cases here so it doesn't matter who touches the bottles of water, it's a spirituality cleansing tradition.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

No but maybe some one reported it by mistake. We have taps at our cemeteries and churchyards but that is for watering the flowers people bring, never heard of people washing their hands after.

local alien said...

I'm interested in the hand washing too. First time I've heard of it. I will have to google this tradition.
Never heard of phishing and haven't had any emails. At least I'll know what it's all about nwo

DawnTreader said...

Good news that there was no serious damage to the car, but what a pity about the camera, even if you do have a back-up one...

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Glad you are getting your car back, sorry about losing the camera.
I love cemeteries for some strange reason. I love all the different customs. I had not heard about the washing the hands. At many of the Native American graves here, the custom seems to be leave a stone or coin or other memento on the grave. The chief Geronimo is buried way out in the middle of nowhere on an U.S. Army post here in Oklahoma. So many people have paid respects that his grave stone is half buried by now.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

So sorry about the car breakin. That's really disturbing. I've not had any contact from Blogger similar to what you describe.

Einari Sinappi said...

Pity about the camera and the car. Haven´t had any messages from Google.

Jim said...

Good one.

magiceye said...

Beautiful image. Sorry to hear about the loss of your camera though you got your car back thankfully.
No message received from Blogger.

Light and Voices said...

Greetings and Salutations! How awful! Good news though that you got your automobile back. Glad you are safe.

Sharon said...

I believe I got one of those emails a year or two ago. I just ignored it. I have noticed quite a lot of spam activity lately. It seems like every day I'm marking comments as spam.
Glad the car will be back soon but too bad about the camera.

Cobden Observation Post

  We've been living in Greymouth nearly 2 years now and we finally got to complete this walk to the Cobden WW2 Observation Post . It too...