Thursday 15 July 2021

The Lantern

 

I spent a few rainy hours in Kawakawa last week, not alot to do except browse through some of the shops. This bronze and glass sculpture on the main road caught my eye. It is the work of local artist and designer Richard Smart and its creation has involved more than 1500 hours of voluntary labour and commitment, it was designed to serve a functional purpose as a street light. The work was conceived in 2002 and has been driven behind the scenes jointly by the Kawakawa Community Trust and the Eastern Community Board.

Linking up with Skywatch Friday.

15 comments:

Bill said...

Nice lantern! At first I thought it was standing on the table.

Tom said...

...it looks like hands holding the world!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Very clever!! I love projects where the community gets behind it.

William Kendall said...

That does draw one's attention.

Susan Heather said...

It's lovely. Some great places in Kawakawa.

Tigger's Mum said...

I love art applied to functional public stuff; particularly public lighting. And this is a stunner of an example.

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiful and I always love when art is also functional.

Lowcarb team member said...

I like the look of this lantern.

All the best Jan

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I like it! So much more interesting than the street lights in my neighborhood.

Jocelyn said...

Very interesting.

Einari Sinappi said...

A Very, Very Nice street light. Maybe Best I´ve ever seen.

Light and Voices said...

Greetings and Salutations! Agreed with what Tom said: that it looks like "hands holding up the world." Thanks for sharing this piece of art with us.

Graham Edwards said...

I like that!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

The lamp is beautiful Amy, looks so good there on the street 💙

carol l mckenna said...

Unique lantern ~ sweet photo ~ Xo

Living in the moment,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Emporium

  One of Napier's main streets in town Napier is one of those old town's that has been reconstructed with art deco buildings due to ...