Tuesday 6 July 2021

Paihia Bollards


These cuties and others sit along the Paihia waterfront. Part of the Pahia Focus Group the idea came from Katja Caulton and was discussed with members of the community who decided on finding 5 characters that represented the town. They ended up setting on a fish, fisherman, wahine (Maori woman), sailor and a diver - only 3 are shown here.

It took Russell artist Noel Wynyard 8 months to carve the bollards and Darina Denali painted them with local Grant Harnish installing them in 2017. I think they are a quirky addition to Paihia.

Linking up with Our World Tuesday, Travel Tuesday, Tuesday Treasures, Through my lens, My corner of the world and Wordless Wednesday.

20 comments:

Lydia C. Lee said...

That's so cute! #ThruMyLens

Fun60 said...

They are the most interesting and colourful bollards I've ever seen. I wonder if other towns might copy the idea.

NCSue said...

This is marvelous - a totally different kind of "street art"!
Thank you for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2021/07/a-favorite-place-to-visit.html

Veronica Lee said...

These are adorable! What a wonderful idea!

Happy Tuesday, Amy.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I love them Amy, such a unique idea. They kind of remind me of Russian dolls, the different sizes that that fit into each other 💜

William Kendall said...

A neat idea!

Tigger's Mum said...

Definitely quirky, but just goes to show that even the most functional of things can also be decorative.

Jackie McGuinness said...

This is very cool!

local alien said...

Someone had a great idea. They are lovely

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful idea and so creative ~ great photo ~ Xo

Living in the moment,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Bill said...

Very cool and a creative idea, I like them!

Tom said...

...I never think of ballards has being frcprative, but these are great. Thanks Amy for joining the party.

Pauline said...

Love them! I wonder if they have discussed having more of them around town?

Iris Flavia said...

Love these. Wonderfully made, never saw not-annoying bollards before!

klara said...

they are interesting. plus I learned a new word 'bollard'. ;-)

Sharon said...

These are so much fun!

Graham Edwards said...

They are wonderful. I love them.

csuhpat1 said...

Those are so cool. Thanks for sharing it. Very nice.

magiceye said...

They are so cute!

betty-NZ said...

How unique! Love these little pieces of artwork.

It's great to see your link at 'My Corner of the World' this week!

Blackwater School

When we first moved to Greymouth 2 years ago we visited the old abandoned gold mining town of Waiuta (I'll share the photos in another p...