Thursday 24 December 2020

Motuotau Island skies

 


For us in the Southern Hemisphere today is Christmas Eve - depending where you are in the world we are about a day ahead. Traffic has been bumper to bumper and very slow, supermarkets have been chaotic and people are out and about doing last minute shopping. 2 of my elderly clients (a couple) presented me with a beautiful sheer Summer scarf as thanks for me helping them - made me feel very thankful and I will definitely use it.

While searching for some calm photos in my archives I found this one from when we lived in Mount Maunganui about 3 years ago. This is one of the many paths to the beach and in the distance is the Motuotau Island which was once the scene of a massacre. Confiscated from local iwi after the 1864 Battle of Gate Pa, the island was returned and then later purchased by the Crown. Today the island is a wildlife sanctuary and home to 500 little blue penguins.

I hope you have an awesome Christmas wherever you are, stay safe, kia kaha.

Linking up with Wordless Wednesday, Timeless Thursdays and Skywatch Friday.

15 comments:

local alien said...

A beautiful NZ scene.
Kronia Polla. Wishing you and your family a very Merry Xmas .

Amy said...

Merry Christmas to you too.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Now that looks like a beach you could spend a quiet time looking at the sunset

Tom said...

...a wonderful rosey glow in the sky.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

At Home In New Zealand said...

Beautiful photo, made me feel quite nostalgic :)
Wishing you and your family a safe and happy Christmas, Mxx

NCSue said...

What a lovely shot.
More and more as blog friends share photos of New Zealand I've yearned to travel there. What a lovely country you have!
Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2020/12/quarantine-christmas.html, and I wish you Christmas joy and a happy, healthy 2021~

Tigger's Mum said...

Merry Christmas, Glaedelig Jul, Cronia Polla, Feliz Navidad. Peace and joy - and a less history making year in 2021. xxx 😎😽⭐

Veronica Lee said...

That is such a pretty capture! Love it!

Merry Christmas!

Nanda kumar said...

Beautiful

Lady Fi said...

Lovely shot! Hope you had a great Christmas.

Light and Voices said...

Greetings and Salutations! What a lovely way to spend Christmas.

Klara said...

beautiful scene.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

A peaceful scene with a violent history. I love stuff like this.

NatureFootstep said...

In Sweden we also celebrate Christmas Eve on the 24th.
That is when we have most fun with close friends, family and gifts. The next days are mostly visiting others enjoying outdoors or what ever one likes. If I had a beach like that I would probably spend time there. :)

Taramakau River

  Last week B and I drove out to Dillmanstown which is a former mining settlement out Kumara way, about 20 minutes drive from Greymouth. We ...