Thursday 17 December 2020

Giant Marlin in Paihia




 I've seen this sculpture of a Marlin in Paihia many times but after taking this photo of it last week I thought I would do some research into it. Apparently a family named "Fuller" of the "Fuller's Cruises" here in NZ donated it in 2017 and pays homage to the fishing industry here in the far north. 

Marlin are a type of big game fish up here and you need a really big strong rod with lots of patience to reel them in. I've never caught one but New Zealand ones can get to between 70 and 220kg with a length of up to 4 metres. The heaviest ever caught was 224.1kg here in the Bay of Islands.

btw that's my daughter in the photo 😊

Linking up with Timeless Thursdays and Skywatch Friday.

18 comments:

Susan Heather said...

Haven't seen that, I presume it is behind the shops on the waterfront.

Tigger's Mum said...

I love the buildings on the waterfront there. I've never been to the Bay of Islands, but it looks idyllic.

Sami said...

Impressive statue of the marlin.

local alien said...

That's a big fish. Gosh our fishermen here would love to do some big game fishing.
So different from tiddlers they catch here.
Hi Amy's daughter!

Stevenson Q said...

My favorite Fish in the whole wide world! Whether grilled or pan fried in butter, Blue Marlin is just the best! Super lovely shot and the sculpture looks divine and very majestic :)

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiful pic, all of it in there, the fish, your Daughter and the houses!
Boy, really big fishes there!

Sharon said...

That is a great statue for that spot.

Tom said...

...that's a whopper!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

224 kgs wow! You would need a big rod and a lot of stamina to catch that one Amy. Excellent sculpture ✨

Amy said...

I've never tried blue marlin but my favourite is Dory.

Bill said...

When you catch one of them, you'll know it. :) I like the sculpture, it's a beauty.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Beautiful sculpture! I love the information about the marlin as well.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

wonderful sculpture

William Kendall said...

Impressive!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

That's impressive. I like it!

Jim said...

Cool sculpture.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

What a wonderful sculpture of the Marlin. They are big! Take care, stay safe! Have a happy day and a great weekend!

My name is Erika. said...

That statue is a beauty in an already beautiful spot. I've never fished for marlin. In some ways it seems a shame to catch such a big beauty. But I bet it is a fun fish on the line.

Emporium

  One of Napier's main streets in town Napier is one of those old town's that has been reconstructed with art deco buildings due to ...