Tuesday 15 December 2020

Free library anyone?



I have so many photos from our day in Paihia last week so herewith 2 in particular that interested me. Apart from the information centre which is the white building above the little old fashioned red telephone box caught my eye. Apparently it's a free book libary - I don't know about you but I think every town needs one of these. See that red tree in the background? That's our Pohutukawa tree also known as New Zealand's Christmas tree because of the colour of the flowers. The saying here is that if the tree blooms before December we will get a good Summer.




 You don't see many of these old phone boxes around but I remember when I was growing up these were everywhere. What impressed me the most though about being here was wherever we went people kept their distance. Unfortunately in the town we live in people aren't so careful, in fact over the weekend I was in one of our local cafes buying an iced coffee and although there were signs on the floor telling people where to stand no one seemed to care - I gave a backward glance at the person who was next in line very close to be and everyone else behind her was the same. Along with that (excuse my griping) hardly anyone seems to scan their QR codes from their phones or write their details on the notepad that all shops provide. I don't get it - we may not have any community cases  now but with people travelling around the country who knows when Covid may crop up again?

Linking up with Our World Tuesday and Through my lens.


7 comments:

Tom said...

...little free libaries have been popping up everywhere!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I love the red phone is being used as a free library. The tree and blooms look beautiful.
Take care, have a great new week!

Fun60 said...

It is a popular use of our old phone boxes too.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

love a free library

Billy Blue Eyes said...

That is a nice one, there are some over here in Phone boxes

b.c. said...

i love a little free library--and the Christmas tree is pretty nice too :))

Lady Fi said...

What a lovely old phone box!

Queue

  I'm sure we've all stood in this same way at airports in our lives. This one features B and 2 tourists waiting for coffee at Auckl...