Saturday 20 June 2020

A walk through nature





This weekend we have my sister staying, she has come up for a visit so yesterday I showed her one of our nature walks we have here. There are about 9 waterfalls around Kerikeri in total so we thought we would see the river waterfall.


 

The walk in total is about 20 mins along an easy track with Kawakawa trees just about everywhere and the leaves can be used in a healing balm.

 


Some nice fungi I found on one of the old logs and because there are Kauri in the forest, near the entrance is a cleaning station where you have to scrub your shoes and spray a disinfectant on them. This is to prevent Kauri dieback disease which has affected many trees in NZ.


This is the waterfall once we got to it, we couldn't walk down to the edge as it was too slippery.


This is us both, we don't really look alike. I take after my dad, she takes after mum. Anyway we are due to spend the rest of the weekend and most of next week with heavy rain.

Stay safe. Kia kaha

13 comments:

Tom said...

...I'm sorry to hear that you are having days of rain, but I would glad take one or two off your hands.

Susan Heather said...

Enjoy your sister's visit. The rain is most often not as bad as forecast.

Aimz said...

I should be grateful actually, come Summer we'll be in drought again.

Aimz said...

She stayed for one night but it was good.

local alien said...

You do look alike in the photo!
That was a lovely walk. Glad to hear they're doing what they can for those kauris.

At Home In New Zealand said...

How great to have some time with your sister. I've visited that waterfall, it is so pretty :)

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I enjoy your walk with you and your sister. The nature scenes are beautiful, love the boardwalk. The waterfall is pretty. Enjoy your day, happy weekend!

Tigger's Mum said...

Great photos - evocative - love the idea of rain and can imagine the smells of the forest and the earth.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

How lovely to spend time with your sister Amy.. I have two sisters, both look like my mum and I look like dad.. funny how that works 😀

Sharon said...

Enjoy your time together! I loved seeing the waterfall!

Bill said...

Very nice waterfall, glad you had a nice visit with your sister. Raining here today too. :(

NatureFootstep said...

a beautiful trail to a beautiful place. Hope you and your sister had a great weekend. :)

DawnTreader said...

Love the waterfall! It's raining here just now and after a hot week behind and another hot week to come (according to forecasts), I love that too! :)

Kiwi Rail

  The beginning of the Tranz Alpine Train at the railway station next to my work - the trains here are pretty cruddy compared to other count...