Saturday 30 May 2020

The grand Mangonui Hotel




This grand old lady is one we've driven past a few times now. The Mangonui Hotel is in the heart of town and was first built in 1905 by John Bray. It's the 4th hotel in the area - the first was built in in Mill Bay in 1842 named the "Donnybrook" but burned down in 1873.  

Mangonui is one of those places where fishing is an important local industry with snapper, kingfish and crayfish being caught.  The local Mangonui fish and chip shop has been well known over the years to cook the best takeaways in the country, we haven't eaten there yet but we probably will once we go out for road trips.

Have a good weekend. Kia kaha

5 comments:

local alien said...

Another grand old building. A place I would like to visit especially with its snapper, kingfish and crayfish. Bet the fish and chips are the best

Rhonda Albom said...

I make a stop at the Mangonui fish and chip shop whenever I pass through the area with guests. They are pretty good. I'll have to check out the hotel next time (as I only ever get as far as the fish and chips).

At Home In New Zealand said...

I visited here especially for the fish and chips shop - and they were closed!! (I was too early and didn't have the time to wait). The hotel is a great old building and you have taken a great photo of it.

Tom said...

...looks like a grand place to stay.

Susan Heather said...

I love Mangonui - I caught my one and only John Dory off the wharf there.

Cobden Observation Post

  We've been living in Greymouth nearly 2 years now and we finally got to complete this walk to the Cobden WW2 Observation Post . It too...