Friday 6 March 2020

Abandoned house in Maungaturoto


Out on the gravel road about 15 minutes out of Maungaturoto my daughter and I spotted this abandoned house on the side of a hill. When I see houses like this I wonder who lived in it, how old it is? From what we could see it was completely burned out inside.

21 days until we move up north. More stuff has been getting donated but I do wonder why people say they want something if they aren't going to pick it up. Our town has a local Facebook page where people give things away for free and people say they want it, then a name gets drawn and that person picks up the item. Sometimes people just don't pick the item up, which I think is rude and I had that happen to me on Wednesday. I do think if you give someone a date and time to meet them and you don't turn up then that's kind of like bad manners, the least you could do is to tell them you can't make it. Is it just me or is there just a lack of common courtesy these days?

Oh and we've had rain - yay! Not alot but just enough in bits and pieces and it has been so much cooler at night.

Linking up with Skywatch Friday.

16 comments:

gz said...

Sad to see a nice looking house like that.
Good to hear you are making progress...but it is annoying when people have no manners..it doesn't take a lot to let you know if they can't make a collection

Susan Heather said...

Those abandoned houses always look so sad. Yes, very rude to just not turn up, it doesn't take much these days to message someone. Glad you had some of that rain, it has cooled down very suddenly hasn't it.

William Kendall said...

You wonder how long it's been like that.

Powell River Books said...

When I had to downsize my mother's things after her passing it was a very difficult time. I wasn't allowed to do a sale at her condo so thankfully Craigslist got it done. - Margy

Spare Parts and Pics said...

From the outside it looks like a beautiful little house. Likely a nice view too. Makes me want to fix it up!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

abandoned buildings always look sad to me

At Home In New Zealand said...

I always wonder too about abandoned homes, who built it, lived there, why they left.
Can never understand why some people are so rude, but I think it is tied up with selfishness - an attitude of "I will do what I want, and not have any consideration for anyone else".

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Abandoned houses are always kind of intriguing.

I think what you are talking about where people don't show up is a global thing. It happens a lot here in the states. Drives my bonkers.

Small City Scenes said...

Interesting looking house. I wonder what the story is.
MB

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Thought you were going to say you had bought it and were going to restore it. I found people are not interesting in stuff you give away a lot of the time & I end up donating it to a charity shop

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

The abandoned places are sad, I sure it has a story to tell. Enjoy your day, wishing you a great weekend!

Sharon said...

I do agree about the people who don't show up. Love the old house. Makes you wonder what happened to it.

Amy said...

No i wouldn't have bought it, it's quite a way out of town on a dirt/gravel road and it seems to be burned out from the inside, the houses prices that way aren't that good anyway.

Bill said...

I like the look of the house, it would make a nice project for someone.

carol l mckenna said...

Intriguing photo ~ poses lots of questions ^_^

Happy Moments to You,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I too always wish I had a story to go with abandoned houses and farm buildings too ... this one is certainly picturesque though ... probably someone once thought they owned a little private piece of Paradise! .... that giveaway set up the town has is a good one, if only people would all keep their part in it. Especially nowadays, when it would be so easy to text.

ANZAC Day 2024

  Photo from 2014 of Mangawhai Cadets on Anzac Day Today for us Kiwis is ANZAC Day which is incredibly important to those of us in the sout...