Saturday 8 February 2020

More water restrictions


This week for us has been another dry one. We are nearly at the point of running out of water in our tank and a delivery for us has been scheduled for the 17th February but I don't think we will last until then. Yesterday I rang and emailed other water delivery companies from Dargaville to Waipu and range of quotes came in from $850 to $360 - the expensive one can deliver right away but the others have a 2 week late as they are all flat tack. We have been filling up empty bottles at my work and in other towns and everyone else from here to the top of the Far North are in the same boat, in fact from what I read this morning towns like Kaikohe have about 3 days of water left - people have resorted to washing themselves in streams and rivers. Apparently there is a cyclone due next weekend, won't hold my breath we will get anything out of it though.

This photo that I took of my daughter patting some donkeys and miniature horse (there were more in another part of the field) in Paparoa was taken a few months ago when we actually had green grass, now it's all brown and dry...

8 comments:

local alien said...

Oh that's terrible. You're in a disaster area. Can't imagine having to go and wash in a stream, and how much water is in the stream now anyway.
Hope that cyclone brings you more than a few drops

At Home In New Zealand said...

That is so awful Amy. I heard on the News that there was a long wait for water tankers, but I hope your supply will last through. It must be such a worry for you. Take care, Mxx

Billy Blue Eyes said...

That sounds bad, hard to belive that you have a water shortage like that, think we are due more rain over the next couple of days then my wife told me snow as well

Sharon said...

Wow, that sounds very serious. I can't even imagine being without water. It's not exactly something we can live without. I hope you get some rain from that storm.

Rhonda Albom said...

I look at the weather forecast and all I see are sun balls. The soil around my house is heavy clay and cracks have opened up that will swallow your foot if you don't watch your step. I feel sorry for you being on tank water. I'll keep praying for some rain.

William Kendall said...

That is hard.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh Amy, that’s absolutely terrifying to be running short on water . I hope you get rain.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Fingers and toes crossed that you get some rain soon Amy, that's a pretty drastic situation to find yourself in ✨

Westport News

  This has been one of the early buildings in Westport from the 1870s that is still being used for the local newspaper, so much old Victoria...