Wednesday 4 December 2019

Time for a heat wave



Last year at this time we were exploring the far north of NZ. One place named "Long Beach" is about 10 minutes out of Russell and it was a scorching hot day.

This year we're facing a heatwave and the prospect of a drought - everything is so dry and it need of at least 2 days of rain. We have had to pre-order a water delivery for next week as sometimes there can be a 2 week wait. We were meant to have a large storm hit us yesterday but in the end all we got was 5 minutes of moisture and that was it.

Other than that we have made plans to visit the West Coast of the South Island in 2 weekends time to check it out and see what we think. We will fly down to Nelson and the other half's sister who lives down that way has kindly offered us the use of her car so we don't have to hire one.  And I started work last week, at the moment it's very part time like as in 2-3 days a week but it's better than nothing.

12 comments:

At Home In New Zealand said...

I'm sorry the storm missed you yesterday. We had about 90 minutes of rain, some of it torrential, and then it was gone again. The wind was so bad at times that I see it has brought down a couple of trees in a nearby park.
I have a friend who lived in Reefton (on the West Coast) for several years and she says the folk down there were so friendly but it did rain a lot!
Glad to hear you have found some work, every bit helps.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Droughts are frustrating. We had one here that lasted years and and broke a few years ago.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

DOn't envy you the headwave & I'm glad ours was not so bad this year at least we had a fare bit of rail of late to compensate

local alien said...

The west coast, now that will be a change. It rains a helluva lot down there I've heard.
You water situation is terrible. If you have problems now, what will it be like in January, February.

doodles n daydreams said...

We had quite a downpour here in Otago yesterday which lasted quite a while,with hail storms in some parts and very, very windy for a few days now.
I hope you enjoy the West Coast. I'm an ex coaster and I love it when we go back. It is a rugged area but friendly people on the whole. I look forward to your thoughts after your visit.
Diana

Graham Edwards said...

I think some of the heaviest rain I have ever seen in my life was on the West coast of South Island.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Know how you feel Amy, they are saying a slight chance of rain here this weekend, but somehow I don't believe it will happen. Enjoy your trip to South Island ✨

Sharon said...

That sounds like the kind of rain we have here. They say it will rain all day but all I see is 5 or 10 minutes worth. It sounds like you have a fun trip planned.

William Kendall said...

A beautiful view.

Hopefully you get a few days of rain.

Bill said...

A beautiful beach photo. Hope you get some rain soon.

DawnTreader said...

I always have a hard time imagining Christmas in summer climate. Here it's always either wet or frozen...

Rhonda Albom said...

I heard that November has been one of the warmest on record for New Zealand.

ANZAC Day 2024

  Photo from 2014 of Mangawhai Cadets on Anzac Day Today for us Kiwis is ANZAC Day which is incredibly important to those of us in the sout...