Monday 16 December 2019

The eruption of White Island




I don't know how many of you heard the news from last week that Whakatane's White Island or Whakaari as it's known in Maori erupted - apparently it was the result of a blocked vent which exploded with no warning. People who were visiting with tour operators, many of them tourists were burned or killed and there was a rescue mission afterwards to pick up the bodies that were left on there.

My other half grew up in Whakatane's Ohope Beach so he knows the area well and when we lived in Tauranga for 3 years we visited this area a few times - his parents and sister are buried at the local cemetery. It's such a lovely spot with good fishing.

For us it seems like our plan to move to the west coast has fallen through. The company that the other half wanted to work for have been mucking him around so we have switched our focus to either Whakatane or Nelson - either one would work for us so we are waiting to hear what happens.

btw the island in the background of this photo is Whale Island not White Island which is 30 km off the coast.

Linking up with Our World Tuesday.

14 comments:

At Home In New Zealand said...

I'm sorry to hear your West Coast plans haven't come to anything, and wish you both all the best with your new directions. Things always seem to turn out alright in the end, but sometimes it can be hard getting there.
BTW, I love Ohope - it would class as one of my favourite beaches.

Susan Heather said...

I hope you are able to get something sorted soon but am sure it will work out in the end.

local alien said...

I grew up too with White Island smoking on the horizon. Not a place I would ever like to visit. Rotorua is enogh for me. That was a terrible tragedy. I hope they don't let tourists so close ever again

PerthDailyPhoto said...

It certainly was a shocking thing to happen Amy, so sad for everyone involved. Good luck with your future plans, good that you have a couple of choices ✨

Kathie said...

Stay safe and I'm sure everything will work out!

Lydia C. Lee said...

As someone who has stomped around a number of active craters, I really feel for those people. It must have been awful. I misguidedly thought geologists monitored the activity so they knew when it was risky to visit. Apparently not.

Hootin Anni said...

I heard about the eruption. My sister is traveling there in a couple of weeks.

jennyfreckles said...

The eruption has been all over the news here (probably because there were some British casualties). It seems strange that they would allow tourists to walk inside an active crater but then, what do I know? I've never even seen a volcano.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Natural disasters like the eruption are so unexpected and can be so devastating. Glad you are well.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

That was such devastating news. We walked near active volcanoes somewhere in on a Caribbean when we took a Panama Canal Cruise a couple of years ago and we thought about that when reading the news from your country. So scary. So you are still thinking you might move back there?

Photo Cache said...

Sorry about the plans that fell through. Something better is coming, I'm sure. Happy Holidays.

Worth a Thousand Words

Lady Fi said...

Yes - terrible news about the deaths and injuries. It's been in the news here quite a lot.

Bill said...

I read the news about the eruption, such terrible news for the families and friends of those killed and injured. Sorry about your plans being changed but something else will come up for you all.
Have a wonderful day!

William Kendall said...

I hope things work out for you soon.

Yes, I did hear the news about the eruption.

Queue

  I'm sure we've all stood in this same way at airports in our lives. This one features B and 2 tourists waiting for coffee at Auckl...