Saturday 30 November 2019

The glory of Rainbow Falls




This is one spot in the far north of NZ that I miss. Rainbow Falls or Waianiwaniwa as it's named in Maori means means "waters of the rainbow is located on the Kerikeri River. Standing at 27 metres it's a very popular spot for tourists - we first visited here when we were on holiday in 2018 just before we moved there.

Most waterfalls are made when the soft rock erodes but this one is made of hard basalt layer of rock beside softer mudstone. There is a walking track next to the carpark which is about 3.5km long and leads to the Stone Store and Mission House. It also passes through a kiwi zone which means you can't take dogs for obvious reasons.



When I re-visited here last Summer it was with my daughter and it was a scorching hot day. A year later we are living in a completely different town and still pondering where to next. I think I mentioned in another post that we may be moving to the South Island - at this point we are still negotiating the pros and cons but if it goes ahead I think we will be saying goodbye to renting and buying a house there as properties are very very cheap. Moving such a long distance however will take alot of planning I think.

Yesterday however NZ seemed to be chocker-block full of tv commercials advertising Black Friday sales. For one thing it wasn't actually Black Friday for us which usually falls on the 13th of any month but I do wonder whether our retailers were riding on the coat-tails of our American friends. There were lots of sales on and the other half managed to buy on special an air-fryer which from what I understand is a more healthier option and will probably replace a couple of other appliances we have in our cupboards. Did you end up buying anything?


13 comments:

At Home In New Zealand said...

That waterfall is a beautiful spot. I am sure you would love it if you moved down south, although it is a lot colder! I love it down there, as it is almost like going back in time getting away from all the rush rush rush that our bigger cities seem to generate. Good luck with your decision making :)

Susan Heather said...

Yes, good luck with the decision. I dislike all these American trends that keep coming here - just so retailers can make more sales - Halloween and Black Friday being the main ones I can think of at present.

local alien said...

Beautiful scenery again.
The air fryer sounds like a good buy. Please give us a review later.
South Island. Wow that will be a change. Going overseas lol

Sharon said...

I didn't buy a thing yesterday. I hate how busy the stores are so I tend to stay away.

Bill said...

Beautiful waterfalls, Amy. We did't participate in Black Friday sales, we hardly shop except for food once a month. Personally I hate shopping and only do it when it's absolutely necessary. :)
Good luck with your big decision and have a wonderful day.

Amy said...

Neither do we normally, I just don't have the money seeing as I am only working part time - the air fryer was bought online, so much easier than having to wade through people.

Amy said...

Agree, that's why it's easier and dangerous to buy online.

Amy said...

Hopefully if it's meant to be it'll happen. Some of my ancestors are buried near Denniston as they were gold miners in the 1800s so it'll be kind of like going home.

Graham Edwards said...

Black Friday, so called, has been going on in the UK for the last 10 days. It's a nonsense. One analysis showed that many of the deals were no cheaper than at many other times of the year.

If you decide on the South Island I do hope that you find somewhere to enjoy and set down some roots (if that's what you desire). I would certainly enjoy posts from the South Island.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I love your waterfall. We don't have any close to where I live except at a state park and it hardly qualifies as it uses a pump to pump water back to the top of the fall.

Good luck on your move. I would rather take a beating but sometimes you have to get to a better situation.

William Kendall said...

What a beautiful waterfall.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Big decisions to be made Amy but I'm sure you will make the right choice. Love your waterfall shots and no purchases on Black Friday, mostly because I didn't need anything 😉

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Nope. I hate shopping. Bill will probably do some on-line shopping tomorrow (Monday) it is called cyber Monday, another made up holiday to help us all spend all our money (( ...

Emporium

  One of Napier's main streets in town Napier is one of those old town's that has been reconstructed with art deco buildings due to ...