Monday 28 October 2019

The beauty of Kawakawa Balm


I have always loved this spot. At one part of our estuary there are various houses and holiday homes sited on top of the hills and cliff tops but this one particular one is right on the sand overlooking the water. Imagine waking up to the view of skies, clouds and waves? Bliss!

Anyway I've had a rather interesting experience this week. A few months ago the other half when we lived in Kerikeri fixed an internet problem on a property belonging to a lady named Rawi and her husband. Now this lady runs a business making natural products such as soap and skin creams etc.



(image from soapshack.org)

She gave him a small bag for me containing a bar of coloured soap and a small tub of Kawakawa balm. At the time I was really touched so I emailed her to say thank you. Anyway, after we moved back here to Mangawhai I put it in a drawer and forgot about it. Last week I had a graze and put some of the balm on, by the end of the day it was healed up.

FYI the Kawakawa tree is one of the native plants used in Maori traditional healing. Rongoa means "medicine" so the use of herbs and plants is well known. It also involves spiritual healing, massage and natural health. After the positive experience I had with this product I think I'll order some more once I run out.

Linking up with Our World Tuesday and My Corner of the World.

12 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

That’s really cool Amy! Natural products are always best in my opinion, and especially fun to know they came from this tradition.

Susan Heather said...

We use it all the time - ours is made by another lady who now lives in Kerikeri. We put it on any abrasions, in fact anything on the skin including warts. It is wonderful stuff.

local alien said...

Do you know what is in the balm? I must look it up. We have a natural balm here made from virgin olive oil, and beeswax but yours sounds even more effective.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Love the look of the home in your first shot Amy, what an idyllic spot. The skin cream looks amazing ✨

Sharon said...

I'm kind of wishing I had some of that. I had a small pre-cancer spot removed from my leg about 4 weeks ago and it seems to be taking forever to heal. The doctor said it would take a while because the further away from the heart, the slower the healing. Maybe that balm would help speed things up.

Fun60 said...

That property looks in the perfect position. A useful discovery of that balm.

William Kendall said...

It certainly looks like a pretty area.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I'd be in heaven if I lived in that house with that view. Natural products are often better. I rely on Aloe Vera for all my skin needs.

Photo Cache said...

What a splendid place to stay. Great views.

Worth a Thousand Words

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Beautiful beach, nice place to live

betty-NZ said...

That would be such a great house to have! I think nature has most, if not all, the health answers we need if we just know where to look.

I'm so glad to see you at 'My Corner of the World' this week!

My Corner of the World

Lady Fi said...

Lovely house and nice to hear the balm works.

Pavement

  A neat and tidy pavement lined alleyway/shopping area in Paihia. Linking up with  Weekend Reflections   and the  Weekend Roundup .