Saturday 26 October 2019

Lots of people - no thanks!


A couple of weeks ago we stopped in Warkworth, a town about 45 minutes away. We really didn't want to go there as they had an annual event going called the "Kowhai Festival". Kowhai is one of our country's trees. It flowers in Spring and has lovely yellow blooms that attract the Tui.


I don't do large groups of people, I just don't - I 'd rather be with maybe 2 or 3 people at the most, I just find it too crowded in these sorts of situations. The main streets were closed off and it was hard to find parking.


The roads are full of different stalls - anything like real estate, political parties, crafts, foods, charities, clothing etc.  Apparently it's been running every year in October since 1970 and has been extremely popular even since.


Warkworth is one of those places that has grown immensely, 20-30 years ago it was a small country town - now it has branched out with those moving out of Auckland.

Anyway, after doing what we had to do we were glad to get out of there and head home.

9 comments:

local alien said...

The kowhai flowers are such a wonderful colour. Good reason to celebrate, but like you I hate crowds. I mostly find an excuse to avoid these events too....

At Home In New Zealand said...

Unlike you, I don't mind crowds though I prefer being out among nature. My husband absolutely hated crowds and would do all he could to avoid them. It is many years since I last visited Warkworth (probably decades!) so it is interesting to hear how it has grown. Enjoy your holiday weekend.

Graham Edwards said...

I like Warkworth. I don't generally like crowds. However I make an exception for things like Art Deco Weekend in Napier where I can enjoy meeting acquaintances, picnic with friends or get lost on my own enjoying all that is going on for the whole week and particularly the weekend.

William Kendall said...

I find I don't mind crowds, but there are times, perhaps when I'm not feeling well, that I might avoid them.

Bill said...

I only do crowds when I absolutely have to. It can be a bit chaotic with large crowds.

Sharon said...

A friend and i were just talking about how crowded places are lately. It's not fun when it gets so crowded.

DawnTreader said...

I don't like crowds either. I often find the camera a great help to tackle them, though! ;)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I can still handle crowds like on city streets, but have lost my taste for things like fairs,festivals and such “events”. Our daughter has absolutely completely hated being around a lot of people ever since she was tiny and still does.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Looks like a fun event Amy and you did make the most of it by snapping these super shots 😉

Westport News

  This has been one of the early buildings in Westport from the 1870s that is still being used for the local newspaper, so much old Victoria...