Thursday 11 April 2019

Stand by John Roy



At Tauranga's Te Puna Quarry Park Gardens there is one wooden carving I've never really thought much about. This one entitled "stand" was created by local artist John Roy overlooks the Bay of Plenty coastline from the top of one of the hills.

He has been quoted as saying "My work revolves around iconic forms, social memory and what people bring to to the piece or their knowledge of that form. I introduce my ideas and thoughts in a way the viewer can relate to or interpret comfortably. Yet maintain my social, political and aesthetic intentions for the work. In effect to provide enough information for the for the viewer to draw upon their own personal experiences to tell their own story".

To me it almost shows a person standing looking out over the overall view and landscape of the area. What do you make of it?

Linking up with Skywatch Friday

10 comments:

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Not much really, just a figure standing on a pole that represents nothing to me

William Kendall said...

I agree with your assessment.

Rhonda Albom said...

Looks like a nice view out to the coast.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the carving is cool, love the view too. Enjoy your day, have a great weekend ahead!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I like it. Because it is so slender, it kind of reminds me of a totem pole.

Klara said...

an unexpected find, I would say. nice view.

Sharon said...

I see someone watching over things, a sort of protector.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I would agree with you Amy, I would love to know how others would interpret it ✨

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Oh I guess that I can approach it comfortably. It sounds like he makes his pieces such that everybody can give it their interpretation, yet he has his own. Or at least that is what it sounds like to me. It works for me.

Lady Fi said...

Wow - amazing!

ANZAC Day 2024

  Photo from 2014 of Mangawhai Cadets on Anzac Day Today for us Kiwis is ANZAC Day which is incredibly important to those of us in the sout...