Wednesday 2 January 2019

Summer public holidays


Here in NZ Summer is here until early March. We have various statutory holidays that fall between Christmas day and the first weekend of February. Normally the way the laws work with employment is if you are rostered on for one of those days you get paid your hourly rate plus half of that also. So far I've worked a few of those and had a couple of days off in between which has been nice financially and restfully.

It's also been extremely hot here, Northland which is in the top part of NZ's north island is warmer than the rest of the country and luckily we have a heat pump in 3 rooms of our house so we have been turning that off for air conditioning - it's been wonderful having cool air coming through.

New Year's eve wasn't anything spectacular for us, I had to work the next day so we just had a quiet one with a couple of cold ciders and a good movie. Happy New Year to you!

10 comments:

gz said...

A good new Year to you..South Island has been a tad warm the past few days, even being the hottest in NZ!!

Billy Blue Eyes said...

You know I find it hard to comprehend it's hot down there when it's cold here. Mind you I do not envy you the heat, it is bad enough here in the summer and I can't wait for it to cool down again

Sharon said...

That photo looks so nice to me right now because it is unusually cold here in the desert right now. We are having a rare cold wave and it really feels like winter has set in.

William Kendall said...

Happy New Year!

Bill said...

Happy New Year Amy! Nice composition for your photo, it's pretty.

local alien said...

A very happy new year to you both. Hope you have a great summer and lots of lazy days on the sea.

Graham Edwards said...

I hope that 2019 is good to you.

I can cope with heat but not humidity. Fortunately in New Zealand I had aircon which I usually just used when I wanted the bedroom cooling for bedtime.

betty-NZ said...

It's not so hot here in Taranaki, bit the wind is drying out my garden. All in all, I can deal with it! Thanks for linking up at My Corner of the World. Here's to a great 2019!

Rhonda Albom said...

I usually have a quiet New Years and stay away from the crowds. I stayed away from the crowds this year (about 2 million) in Rio be being on a ship.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Happy New Year to you both ! We didn’t ever used to celebrate much at all, but the last three or four years a few couples here have gone somewhere on our boats. We even stayed up until after midnight this time )).

ANZAC Day 2024

  Photo from 2014 of Mangawhai Cadets on Anzac Day Today for us Kiwis is ANZAC Day which is incredibly important to those of us in the sout...