Monday 3 December 2018

Christmas at Countdown




Here in NZ we have different names of Supermarkets. We have Countdown (above which is Australian owned), New World (where I work), Pak n Save, Four Square and Fresh Choice (which are NZ owned). 

We were doing our weekly food shopping this morning and I took this shot to show what the average supermarket here looks like. This is the fruit and vege department with the liquor department on the right and seafood department at the end. This is only a small portion in this building with more aisles and checkout lines. As you can see there are Christmas decorations here and there along with the typical chocolates etc on sale. And the Christmas music started 2-3 weeks ago, on Saturday I think I heard 3 different versions of Jingle Bells and it's kinda sad that working in retail and being constantly around everything festive has sort of taken a grinch approach on me.

One plus is that NZ has banned single use plastic bags to be gone from Supermarkets by the end of the year. Countdown has already gotten rid of them and people now use reusable bags. My work will be banning them by 1st January 2019 and it's amazing how many people are not good with the positive change. So many have and complain weekly, sometimes daily about how they won't be able to get their free rubbish bags anymore and how they're stockpiling the plastic bags for when they are gone. It's quite sad that people are so selfish about their needs vs the environment. The other half and I have been using our reusable bags for about a year now and we prefer them because they are stronger and you can get more in them - we are trying to make a positive effort for our earth.

What's your country's policy on this issue?

Linking up with Our World Tuesday.

15 comments:

Andy said...

Looks very much like the grocery stores here in Canada. Plastic bags are available but will cost you 5¢.

William Kendall said...

It's not that different from stores here.

Single use bags come with a price here, and a lot of stores offer reusable bags. I have several and tend to keep one or two in my backpack when I'm picking up a few things at the grocery store.

Bill said...

Our grocery store is kind of similiar looking. We bring our own bags and backpacks when we go shopping. The stores do still have plastic bags but if you want one it will cost you €.22. Hardly anyone uses them because who wants to pay that much. When you are at the till paying, there are empty boxes in front that the store's items came in. Anyone can take them and they do. So the store gets rid of their boxes that way. It works out fine. Recently we just stopped buying milk in plastic jugs and swtiched to cartons. It costs about an euro more but it saves on so much recycling plastic. We all need to do something that works for the environment.

Patti said...

It looks very much like stores in America. We still have plastic bags for free. They keep getting thinner and some stores have something at the front of the store where you can recycle them. We have Aldi's here and they charge 7 cents per paper bag.

Susan Heather said...

We take our re-usable bags to New World. Still using bags I already had for kitchen tidy. Do you use newspaper?

local alien said...

Oh, I do so remember the smell of those supermarkets as I walked onto them on NZ. So different from here. And so huge and so much merchandise. I was amazed
Plastic bags are almost banned here. Now you have to pay for them and most people use reusable..

And now we buy plastic bags for rubbish. No change for the better really

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

It varies around our country.,,and even within the state. The City where we live (Eugene Oregon) bans the use of plastic bags and encourages bring your own shopping bags. If you forget to bring them they will sell paper bags. We use cloth bags wherever we are and they are so much better and easier. Plus good for the environment. But just as in your country some people complain. I wish there was a better way to dispose of trash. But we but biodegradable garbage bags and don’t use nearly as many of them as we used to when they were free from the groceries.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh and the supermarkets here are pretty much the same as you show. Some are larger, it depends on the size of the town or city I suppose.

Sharon said...

I love seeing this. Whenever I travel I always visit the grocery stores. I love seeing the ordinary every day things in new places. I have a canvas bag that I take to the grocery store for shopping. Even when I do get the occasional plastic bag, I store and take it back to the store for recycling. So, if they passed that law here, it wouldn't bother me in the least.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

It's a huge supermarket Amy! It was the same here a few months ago, even though it had been advertised strongly, people were still outraged. We've been using cloth bags for years now, at least ten. I hate taking home plastic ✨

Fun60 said...

We have had to pay for plastic bags so people bring their own. It has made a huge difference to the amount of plastic bags that are thrown away.

Hootin Anni said...

I imagine working in retail IS a bit tiring thru the holiday season!

Tanza Erlambang - Every Day Issues said...

time so fast. Christmas is coming soon.
have a great day

jennyfreckles said...

Our stores are not dissimilar. Yours looks a bit more spacious. In Asda, we have to pay for large plastic bags but fruit and veg can still be put in little ones. I wish they would change to paper, as some stores have. I often walk and take my shopping trolley - no bags, no petrol and free exercise!

Lilbitbrit said...

I think the USA will be the last country on earth to get rid of plastic bags.

Taramakau River

  Last week B and I drove out to Dillmanstown which is a former mining settlement out Kumara way, about 20 minutes drive from Greymouth. We ...