Friday 23 November 2018

Fresh air and ginger in Kohukohu


When I was a child I suffered terribly from car sickness. My parents use to have to frequently stop on the side of the road during any of our family travels. There was one place in particular that I remember which was a pig farm in Te Hana - I still remember the sign some 30 years later and even now the place is still there.

Up until now I thought I'd grown out of it....not so. After we drove around some of the gravel dirt country roads here we ended up going through some very winding roads for at least an hour and a half. My tummy was not impressed so when we arrived in Kohukohu we stopped so I could buy ginger beer at the local dairy which worked a treat. Ginger is suppose to be a natural remedy for sickness apparently - I ended up sitting in the sun on a park bench breathing in some fresh air and ended up being as right as rain.

Linking up with Skywatch Friday.

9 comments:

Billy Blue Eyes said...

You could always eat a ginger bisuit before you go out or take a pack in the car. Nice place to visit

William Kendall said...

Beautiful view!

Yes, ginger ale's used here for upset stomachs as well.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I didn't know that about ginger, thanks for the tip!! I've always gotten terrible motion sickness, and never did outgrow it. Cars, trains, planes, boats... anything that rocks and I get to feeling nauseous!

Jim said...

Great shot.

Susan Heather said...

I sympathise - I have always had this problem although, luckily, it is a lot better now.

thomas said...

looks like a nice place to relax by the jetty

Lady Fi said...

Lovely park. And I like the ginger of the dog too.

Rhonda Albom said...

Yes, ginger works really well for nausea and helps with digestion. I used to eat crystalized ginger for motion sickness when I sailed.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Our daughter suffered from carsickness as a child and still does to some extent.

Westport News

  This has been one of the early buildings in Westport from the 1870s that is still being used for the local newspaper, so much old Victoria...