Sunday 8 April 2018

Return to Kai-Iwi Lakes


Many years ago when I was about 12 years old my family use to spend summers at this wonderful place in Northland. We lived in Auckland at that point and I know it use to take a few hours to get there (from a child's memory I thought it was a long time) but was probably at least 3 hours drive.


This is the Kai Iwi Lakes in the Kaipara District of Northland also knows as the Taharoa Domain. Kai - meaning food and Iwi meaning people so food for the people I guess.


From what I know there is trout and crayfish in the lakes, there are 3 altogether; Lake Waikare, Lake Taharoa and Lake Kai Iwi - only the 2nd one is allowed to have boats or jet skiis on it. These photos show the largest of the 3.


My uncle use to go diving out near the middle and come back with crayfish and as kids we use to make up makeshift spears out of sticks and forks and try to spear yabbies, which are small types of cray.


You can see from the water near my feet how clear it is. This goes right out to where the dark blue is then it suddenly gets deeper.


The water is freshwater not salt water and the area covers 538 hectares. The golden sand use to be a favourite for us kids to enjoy every day we were there.


It is open to the public for camping but they have a strict no pets policy which is a good thing. There use to be rows of pine trees around the camp spots but I see that they have been unfortunately cut down which is sad - the world needs more trees.

So, is there a special spot you enjoy for camping?

12 comments:

William Kendall said...

What a beautiful area to spend time in!

I'm partial to a provincial park here called Algonquin.

Graham Edwards said...

You've made me want to go for a paddle.

Wayne said...

That is a beautiful place, even better that it brings back fond memories :-)

Bill said...

That's a pretty place full of lovely memories for you. I grew up close to the Atlantic ocean but also lived near the Pacific ocean after I got married so anywhere there is water, I am happy.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Fun to revisit childhood memories -- it looks like a wonderful place for children or adults! It's a beautiful lake beach , but yes sad about the pine trees.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

What a great place!! I love the clear water. We have lots of lakes where I live but the water is tinted with either our native red mud or tanin from the many trees.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Me again, Oklahoma has lots of great state parks with wonderful camping facilities including bathrooms with showers.

Fun60 said...

That's a beautiful place especially for camping.

Lady Fi said...

What lovely shots - looks so pristine!

Sharon said...

What a beautiful place to relax.

Kay L. Davies said...

How wonderful to revisit scenes of your childhood and find them relatively untrampled. That shallow water looks irresistible for barefoot walks!
Kay
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Kaimamuku said...

Nice shots Amy.
I first visited Kai-iwi lakes in August 1969 as a 13-yr old. Trout had been released for the first time the previous year. I caught two small ones on spinning gear near where the wharf now is on Lake Taharoa. I fished the lakes a lot with my brother through to the end of the 1970's - a period of about 10 years. It was always winter-time when the fish were in the shallows. Camped there several times in winter in the 1970's before there were any official camping grounds. Nobody knew about the place in those days - it subsequently got really popular in summer.
Since 1980 I have only been back a handful of times - mostly just passing through on the way to the forest or the Hokianga. My memories are of clear winter nights, the glassy calm lake reflecting stars and the distant rumble of the waves from the Tasman sea just a few kilometers away.

ANZAC Day 2024

  Photo from 2014 of Mangawhai Cadets on Anzac Day Today for us Kiwis is ANZAC Day which is incredibly important to those of us in the sout...