Tuesday 24 April 2018

It's Feijoa season!


Autumn here in NZ is not just the time for fruits like apples, pears and kiwifruit - it's also the time for Feijoas. These are fairly expensive to buy in the supermarkets and shops but because my other half travels around for his job during the day he quite often finds them on the ground in public places and brings them home.


I like to have them in fruit salads or smoothies. What you do is you scoop out the inner white flesh and eat it. It's kind of sweet but not too sweet. Feijoas are originally from Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay and were bought here in the 1920s - now there are quite a few different varieties. They tend to grow well where we are, in the Bay of Plenty, Auckland and Northland.

Linking up with Our World Tuesday.

8 comments:

William Kendall said...

I can't recall hearing of them before.

kylie said...

My mum is a Kiwi who has lived in Sydney for 50 years. We always had a feijoa tree in our back yard but they were often full of fruit fly.
A fly free feijoa is a thing of beauty!

Lady Fi said...

Oh, custard apples! Delicious.

Sharon said...

That is one I have not heard of before. Sounds very interesting.

local alien said...

Oh to taste a feijoa once again. Our long driveway used to have a line of feijoa trees down one side. We ate lots.
We had also something called a banana feijoa which was like a vine ... they were yellow and about the same size as a feijoa but vaguely shaped like a small banana.

Kay L. Davies said...

I looked up the word feijoa before reading your blog post, and saw "from the highlands of southern Brazil, parts of Colombia, Uruguay, Paraguay and northern Argentina" and, when I went back to check, I found out "They are also grown throughout Azerbaijan , Iran (Ramsar) , Georgia, Russia (Sochi) and New Zealand" so there you have it. New Zealand doesn't get top billing, but there is an item on Google!
Very interesting. I checked availability in Canada, but see they are quite expensive so are not widely sold.
Yes, very interesting post, indeed. "Learn something new every day!"
Kay
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

NatureFootstep said...

would be nice to taste some :)

Rhonda Albom said...

I love feijoas and have several trees in my garden. I get so many that I can't eat them all so I make jam. One of my favourite wine is made from feijoas.

Westport News

  This has been one of the early buildings in Westport from the 1870s that is still being used for the local newspaper, so much old Victoria...