Monday 20 September 2021

Kaikohe's history

At the far end of Kaikohe this mural is on the side of one of the buildings. Although it looks a little worse for the wear to me it looks like it symbolizes the town/s history. I see the historical Aperahama Church which was built in 1885 and I see some Maori carvings.



 I was unable to find some information about it but all I could see on the mural itself were some names: V. Whiu, J. Harry, E. Capilli, I. Wilcox and J. Paki so I'm guessing these were the artists.

Linking up with Mural Monday.

8 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I like the sun rays coming out from the church -- it must be meant to symbolize a joyful place.

William Kendall said...

Very well rendered.

Tom said...

...a fun history lesson.

Tigger's Mum said...

I think that is one of the most unuusual murals you have posted - designed by committee perhaps and painted by seversl different people?

Iris Flavia said...

The church with rays sure stands out, interesting mural.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This is beautiful, Amy and I enjoyed learning a bit about Kaikohe, too.

Bill said...

Those rays really make the church stand out. Interesting bit of history too. Very nice mural, Amy.

Sami said...

Lovely murals. Been out of phone/net reception since Tuesday, just got back to civilization... Thanks for participating in Monday murals.

Westport News

  This has been one of the early buildings in Westport from the 1870s that is still being used for the local newspaper, so much old Victoria...