Tuesday 7 April 2020

All's quiet in Auckland City


About 7 years ago I took this photo of the
Sky Tower in Auckland City. Up until a week or so ago it has always been a hive of activity - now it is closed until further notice.

This building has been standing high for the last 20 years at 328 metres. It has panoramic views up to 80ks in all directions, 3 restaurants, cafes, gift shop and people can even skydive from the top.

So many businesses are feeling huge financial losses since the country has been in lockdown. Unless you're an essential service like a supermarket, doctor's, chemist etc then you can't open and thankfully the govt has been giving help to those who still have workers to pay.

I read this morning that one of our supermarkets has banned reusable bags being bought in, in the hope that people will be in and out of there more quickly. When I did our shopping 2 days ago I was allowed to repack everything into a new trolley after it all being scanned through. It doesn't bother me because bags I guess can be quite dirty anyway. I managed to buy some butternut, butterkin and pumpkin so yesterday I put a big pot of vegetable soup in our slower cooker which we enjoyed last night for dinner - so good as we are going into Autumn here with cooler temperates.

 I also read that our health minister was spotted out and about not just travelling a distance to go biking but on a separate occasion was found out to have driven over 20ks to a beach with his children. Considering the rest of us are doing our utmost to stay in our homes I feel these were not well thought out decisions - he should be setting an example.

After watching an update on the telly yesterday I learned we are now over 1000 affected people but the rate of infected people daily seems to have dropped slightly. I can only feel grateful that it isn't any higher and that our prime minister and chief health executive have been thorough and quite onto it.

Stay safe out there. Linking up with Our World Tuesday and My Corner of the World.

15 comments:

Susan Heather said...

Fingers crossed that the rate starts to go down soon.

Rosie said...

Thanks for the photo of Sky Tower, we were there a few years ago and it was extremely busy and a few bungey jumping off it, not something I wanted to do but it was interesting to watch. Take care

Pauline said...

Hi Amy, Things are looking a bit more positive now, aren't they. Hope it continues. I think we are so lucky to live where we do.

Photo Cache said...

Hoping this ends soon. The frontliners are very taxed. Stay safe.

Worth a Thousand Words

eileeninmd said...

Hello, it is great to hear the virus cases are going down. We are on lockdown, only allowed to go food shopping. I am sure this will hurt the world's economy. Take care, stay well! Wishing you a great week ahead!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I hold out high hopes if we all keep doing the right thing Amy ✨

Sharon said...

I'm hoping the rate of infection goes down soon. We don't have enough tests here so it's hard to determine who has it and who doesn't . That makes it really hard.

Bill said...

Hope things continue to look better. I see tha the NZ health minister has been demoted, good! Stay safe.

local alien said...

Nice idea for soup. Its still cold and wet here too. Honestly some of those govt ministers think they are above the rules that the hordes have to follow. Doesn't only happen in NZ!!

carol l mckenna said...

Humans are strange during crisis ~ This is serious business and people need to 'stay at home' ~ everyone ~
I am 'probably preaching to the choir here) We know ~ always an enigma ~

Be Well,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

PS ~ Zoe 'on the mend' gratefully ^_^

Billy Blue Eyes said...

You health minister is not alone, the Scottish one was found going to a holiday home twice after advocating people stayed at home, she did not sat in her job she resigned

Fun60 said...

I hope you manage to all stay safe. I am in day 22 of the lockdown now.

RobertN said...

Hope no more like this.

Veronica Lee said...

Today is Day 22 of our lockdown. I am praying that the rate of infection goes down soon.

betty-NZ said...

I think we are in a good place compared to the rest of the world. Hopefully, this will all be over soon. It's just strange to think of all the city streets being abandoned.

I'm delighted to read your post at 'My Corner of the World' this week! Thanks for linking up!

Pavement

  A neat and tidy pavement lined alleyway/shopping area in Paihia. Linking up with  Weekend Reflections   and the  Weekend Roundup .