Wednesday 4 March 2020

The Moa and the Kiwi


This week I have been busy at home starting the packing process, going through my linen cupboard to decide what we kept and what we really didn't need. There was no need to be ruthless we really did have alot of stuff. In the end I put things like sheets, pillowcases, duvet covers, dvd movies and kitchen appliances on local Facebook pages for people to pick up - let's just say each thing went very quickly.

Anyway last time we were in Waipu I spotted this wooden carving outside the local vets. Apparently in 2016 two gum trees which had grown too big were due to be cut down. One of the trees was carved into a dog but this one was carved into a large moa bird and a smaller kiwi next to it.

A chainsaw sculptor named Peter Hardie was responsible for the handywork and the locals of the town were very happy with the end result.

Linking up with My Corner of the World.

17 comments:

gz said...

Lovely work.
Nothing like a move for sorting Stuff!!

kwarkito said...

I like this wooden sculpture. It's a good idea not to cut the tree down completely and give it a different shape.

William Kendall said...

That is creative!

ratnamurti said...

I love that way that these little things like the moa and kiwi are found in our towns and villages.

Bill said...

What a creative solution for the two gum trees.

Graham Edwards said...

One of the things that I really love is all the tree sculptures that have appeared over the last 20 years or so. They are everywhere. However I've noticed that some of the older ones are beginning to rot which is such a shame.

betty-NZ said...

Aw, how cool! I admire those with the talent to make such lovely carvings.

I'm so happy to see you at 'My Corner of the World' this week!

My Corner of the World

Susan Heather said...

They are lovely. So much better than cutting the tree down and leaving an ugly stump.

At Home In New Zealand said...

I saw that when I visited Waipu, but I had no idea of the history behind it. Fascinating :)

local alien said...

Wonderful stump carving. Great imagination again.
Wonderful to be able to thin out your stuff too.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I love getting rid of stuff.

Fun60 said...

Great sculpture which compensates for the loss of the tree.

Veronica Lee said...

Love the sculpture!

Sharon said...

Good luck with the packing. Moving can be a hassle but it can also be a good opportunity for a big clean out.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

love this carving!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Moving is such a good time to minimise Amy 😊 Love the tree sculpture ✨

Rhonda Albom said...

I haven't seen that yet. It looks quite impressive.

ANZAC Day 2024

  Photo from 2014 of Mangawhai Cadets on Anzac Day Today for us Kiwis is ANZAC Day which is incredibly important to those of us in the sout...