Friday 28 February 2020

To lent or not to lent

Definition of Lent: "a solemn religious observance in the Christian calendar that beings on Ash Wednesday and ends approximately 6 weeks later before Easter Sunday. The purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer for Easter through prayer, doing penance, mortifying the flesh, repentance of sins, almsgiving and denial of ego"


We travelled up north again on Wednesday to view another property and on the way up just past Whangarei is a historical church which I will post about soon. Just inside the fence is this sign about Lent. I wasn't really sure about what it meant so I looked it up, hence the quote above.

My idea of giving something up at the moment is more about lifestyle for example we can't afford to buy meat much and 5 years ago I started having issues with food allergies and reflux. I found that eating carbs such as pasta, rice, bread aggravates this so I tend to eat meat maybe once a week if we're lucky, fruit, veges, lentils, chickpeas etc which is easier to digest.  We recently discovered that supermarkets here sell things like cauliflower and broccoli rice which is great to use as a substitute for a pizza base, instead of bread I use gluten free wraps and avocados are perfect as a spread.

Linking up with Skywatch Friday

13 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I have some of the same allergies. I tend to eat some bad things and still suffer. Pizza is my favorite. Love the sky and photo. Wishing you a happy day and a great weekend ahead!

Billy Blue Eyes said...

You know I forgot all about it and making pancakes on Tuesday. Nice photo

Jim said...

Great

Anonymous said...

A nice photo; everything seems very quiet there!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Very pretty sky!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I like to do positive things for Lent too! Praying more, giving extra to charity and spreading kindness each day.

Amy said...

That's beautiful, I'm glad it works for you and agree spreading kindness each day is awesome.

Lady Fi said...

Giving back seems a much better idea than giving up something.

Graham Edwards said...

I think that the sign makes a very good point that we should give something back. However rather like a pet not not just being for Christmas this is something we should be doing all the time.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

It's amazing the things you can make now using cauliflower as a substitute for carbs, delicious too! I'm not religious Amy but I do try to give up something for the Lent period, this year it is everything that comes under the 'junk' label 😊

Sharon said...

That's a good idea to eat less meat. Not only is it good for you, it's also good for the environment.

Amy said...

Actually that is a very good point.

William Kendall said...

A good sign.

ANZAC Day 2024

  Photo from 2014 of Mangawhai Cadets on Anzac Day Today for us Kiwis is ANZAC Day which is incredibly important to those of us in the sout...