Wednesday 26 February 2020

The Ark in Kaiwaka




On my travels through Kaiwaka over the years I've driven past this building on the main road plenty of times but I've wondered what the significance of the bird is outside.

Apparently the dove figurehead was created by local Peter Harris in 2014 and in 2017 after the building being empty for some time it was bought by new owners Heidi Clark and her husband Anchal.  The couple were inspired to provide a communal space for business owners to come together and offer their services that benefit others.

One room has been taken by a naturopath and another room been taken by a local community group Kaiwaka Cares. Anchal takes yoga classes along with meditative music based on ancient chants and traditional Indian drums.

The building has also been blessed by a local Maori Kaumatua (elder).

Linking up with My Corner of the World.

12 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, looks like a nice building for the businesses. I like the dove. Enjoy your day, wishing you a great week ahead.

Ed Dzitko said...

That's pretty hysterical!

Bill said...

What an unique building. I thought it was being used for kids, like a day care centre. Good use for it with businesses getting togther to offer different services.

betty-NZ said...

That's quite unusual to see. I'm glad you finally stopped to get a photo. It's good to know that the building is being used for the benefit of the community,

Thanks for linking up at 'My Corner of the World' this week!

My Corner of the World

William Kendall said...

Quite different, but photogenic.

At Home In New Zealand said...

That bird is a great bit of fun :)
I thought it looked like a sort of, may be, perhaps, a seagull?

local alien said...

The dove figurehead is mighty. Love that it has been blessed by an elder

Veronica Lee said...

Love the bird figurehead. How cute and fun!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Such a good use of the space Amy, the dove is perfect being a symbol of peace and harmony 💙

Susan Heather said...

It makes me smile every time we drive past it.

Rhonda Albom said...

I've always wondered about the bird head (though it was an odd looking goose) as I drove thru. Now it has a story behind it.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

love the dove!

ANZAC Day 2024

  Photo from 2014 of Mangawhai Cadets on Anzac Day Today for us Kiwis is ANZAC Day which is incredibly important to those of us in the sout...