Thursday 9 January 2020

Back to Whakatane



Well it looks like we may be moving to Whakatane. The other half grew up there, his parents and sister are buried there so when he applied for a job there just before Christmas we kind of thought if it happens it happens if it doesn't it doesn't.  I quite like the town, it's about an hour out of Tauranga and which I hated living there but Whakatane is pretty and a bit of a nicer place.

Last time the population was counted there was about 19,000 people living there and is the 3rd largest urban area behind Tauranga and Rotorua - other local towns are Opotiki and Kawerau. It's been a toss up between here and Greymouth but on going through the costs involved it's become obvious we would need more money to move there at this point.

For us, this year has already been eventful with family things going on. My oldest son who is nearly 25 years old has moved out in what was quite a stressful situation. Things have been brewing for a few months in regards to his attitude towards the rest of us, there is a thing called respect and while he has mild aspergers there is a limit to how much you can take from people - he certainly wasn't raised to be disrespectful but I think with stresses going on at his work he hasn't handled it very well. I'm hoping once he cools down he will be in contact again as I don't like having animosity and anxiety hanging around - it festers and creates hate.  I miss him but at his age I think he's at the point where living at home with the olds was cramping his lifestyle and he needs to get out there and spread his wings.

We will see what happens....linking up with Skywatch Friday.

19 comments:

At Home In New Zealand said...

Hard as it is, I feel you have done the right thing. Sometimes children don't learn deep respect for parents until they leave home and begin to experience life on their own, which often leads them to a better understanding of what parents go through. I hope your son will soon be in contact again, and with a much better attitude.
Whakatane is a lovely place. Not too big, not too small, and not as wet as the West Coast! Mxx

Susan Heather said...

I don't know Whakatane well but what I saw of it when we were there I liked. Hope it all goes well for you and things are resolved with your son.

Graham Edwards said...

I really feel for you. Uncertainty in one's life creates stress without all the stress of your son as well. I like Whakatane. It's a town I know well having played a lot of croquet there. In fact when I was staying with old friends in Opotiki in 2016 I went back to Whakatane too. I quite like Tauranga and have a close friend who stays in a suburb. However I'd not like to live there. I hope everything goes well for you.

Bill said...

I hope everything falls in place for you and your family. The area looks like a beautiful place to call home.

local alien said...

Whakatane is still relatively small. Would be a great place to live. I remember it used to sell tins of 'sunshine'. We had a ton for years...never opened. You should try TePuke. The best little town in the Bay, specially now it has a bypass

Sharon said...

Sorry to hear about the family issues and I hope it all works out. Actually, I'm sure it will. Another move...you are adventurous.

Amy said...

We are kind of at the point where we are tired of moving and want to settle down so going back to where he grew up seems like a good move.

Amy said...

That's funny you mention that tin, the other half has had one of those for years and his cousins lived in Te Puke so we know the area well.

Amy said...

Having lived in Tauranga for 3 years it's just not our thing, too much of a big city with too much traffic.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

sending good thoughts for your move - lovely photo today too

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Congrats to your hubby on his new job. I hope things get better with your son.
Hubby and I have lived in the same home now for 30 years. I would like to have a change of scenery. Enjoy your day, wishing you a great weekend!

junieper2/jesh StG said...

Sorry the moving out did not go well. The respect will come back in most cases, after a decade or so, when they are not as aggressive anymore showing "they can do it" and "they don't need you!" In their forties their parents have become "adults" instead of parents, from which they hide their insecurity and things they know you don't like:):) So, take heart, it will come, eventually:):)

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Good luck with your son. That can be so difficult and stressful. We have a similar situation with our daughter, so I feel for you.

kwarkito said...

Well, i hope things will get better for you. the photo is beautiful

William Kendall said...

I'm sorry about your son.

Lady Fi said...

So sorry to hear about your son. Hopefully, he'll reach out or vice versa once you have moved.

Jim said...

Great sky.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Sounds good on your move. And I think I know what you are talking about with your family member. I have one who has not been diagnosed but Aspergers runs in the family and he causes some stress. My attitude is that he is still responsible for his behavior as he is not the village idiot. So, yep complicated but one must protect yourself and family.

Amy said...

Thanks Yogi, I know you understand what it's like living with an Aspie person, it's in our family too, although you love them to bits it's also like they are an empty computer hard drive, we have to put the information in for them to learn but yes, teaching them to be responsible for their own behaviour is very necessary.

Emporium

  One of Napier's main streets in town Napier is one of those old town's that has been reconstructed with art deco buildings due to ...