Thursday 14 July 2022

Gilmer's Hotel


There are alot of old buildings in Greymouth but this one caught my eye while I was driving down a few side roads near town. Once owned by the Gilmer brothers it was 1 of 3 hotels in the area but this one was named as "The Brick House" or "The Gilly" because it was built out of brick and mortar whereas the other 2 buildings were built from wood. This is now used for accommodation and is named "Neptune International Backpackers".

Linking up with Skywatch Friday and Tom's signs

16 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiful, I love those verandahs (just not backpacker-hotels, bad memories of that, LOL. I was so scared Ingo and I shared one tiny bed!).

local alien said...

Nice that it's still in use.

Tom said...

...it sure has a distinctive style, I love the porch.

Bill said...

Looks like a building from the old western days in the US.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

It does look like something from the old west.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

So it is a hostel? It would be comfortable to rest on that porch after a long day of hiking.

Jim said...

Great looking hotel.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Nice old building and I like the architecture. Glad it is still in use!

William Kendall said...

I like the look of it.

Jocelyn said...

We have some old buildings like that in Cedar Key Florida. Great shot!

magiceye said...

Looks cool. Your capture makes it look elegant!

Einari Sinappi said...

It looks kinda small, not too many rooms I suppose. I bet it beats chain hotels every day of the week. And twice on Sundays.

Sharon said...

It has an "old western" feel to it. I'm glad it's still in use.

Photo Cache said...

It does have a little western vibe to me, just like the ones you see in old western movies.

Worth a Thousand Words

Light and Voices said...

Interesting building. Porch looks inviting.

Joyful said...

I love these old buildings.

ANZAC Day 2024

  Photo from 2014 of Mangawhai Cadets on Anzac Day Today for us Kiwis is ANZAC Day which is incredibly important to those of us in the sout...