Sunday 27 February 2022

Dear Dali

I spotted this mural of Salvador Dali on the side of a building down Butter Factory lane in Whangarei recently. His shocked sneering facial expression gets me and amuses me at the same time but the quote I think is quite true.

The mural it seems has a story; Whangarei District Council landscape architect Tracey Moore said she had driven past the mural, originally on the door of a building that had been earmarked for demolition and thought it needed to be saved. It was commissioned by one of my favourite artists, Rodrigo Rozas.

Linking up with Mural Monday.

14 comments:

Tom said...

...he was quite a character!

Tigger's Mum said...

That is a good thought for the day today.

local alien said...

That's a graphic portrait. Nice it was saved

Graham Edwards said...

I didn't know the saying but Dali is one of my favourite artists.

Sharon said...

That is such a classic Dali pose! I love it.

Bill said...

Love the quote!

carol l mckenna said...

Very dynamic poster ~ and great quote ~ Xo


Wishing you lots of love in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

kwarkito said...

He still is one of my favourite painters

William Kendall said...

I can agree with that.

Bertiebo said...

Nice painting and a good quote

Iris Flavia said...

Great mural, quote and background-story!

Sami said...

Interesting background story to the mural. Typical Dali expression.
Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Amy.

Debbie at Travel with Intent said...

Oh-so-Dali! I featured a similar one tis week :)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

True indeed! And the history of the mural is really neat.

Westport News

  This has been one of the early buildings in Westport from the 1870s that is still being used for the local newspaper, so much old Victoria...