Wednesday 18 December 2019

Te Waikoropupu Springs




The other half and I got back from our trip to Nelson yesterday and while we were there we visited Te Waikoropupu Springs in Takaka. The sign above (I think) translates to: "You are welcome, come on in, come up, come on up, you are welcome to this holy place, the source of well being of the fresh water".




We had to drive quite a way to see this about 45 mins to an hour out of the city but so totally worth it. The water was crystal clear - as far as I know there is only trout and ducks that live here.




Neat to see pots of bubbles where the springs are located in various spots. These springs are culturally significant to the Maori people and there is approximately 14,000 litres of water produced per second.




The floor of the lake is covered in white sand, waters that come out from the smaller vents carry the sand upwards.




Apparently the springs have been registered as Wahi Tapu (meaning sacred place) with the Maori Heritage Council of Heritage NZ, and in Maori myth legends is the home of the female Taniwha Huriawa (beings that live in dark pools) .




The short loop is good for walkers and lasts about 30-45 minutes. Because of the purity of the water there has been a ban on swimming, boating, diving, fishing, wading and the filling of water containers.




The other half has said to me he remembers many years ago diving into some of the caves under the water before the ban came in. The waters now are known for their healing properties and were a place of ceremonial blessings at times of birth and death plus the leaving and returning of travellers.

Linking up with My Corner of the World.

13 comments:

carol l mckenna said...

Beautiful nature shots of a marvelous journey for you ^_^

Happy Moments to You,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Rhonda Albom said...

The water is so clear, it's beautiful.

William Kendall said...

What a pretty area.

Susan Heather said...

They are wonderful aren't they. Many years since I visited. You do get around.

doodles n daydreams said...

These views ares fabulous, even though I lived on the West Coast until I was in my 20's I only got to Nelson once so have never visited this area. Good luck with your relocation plans and sorry the 'coast' plans fell through.
Diana

At Home In New Zealand said...

I'm glad you got to see springs (we always shorten the name to Pupu!), they are so beautiful :)

Billy Blue Eyes said...

There is a spring about half a mile from where I live though not as big as that one

Kathie said...

So beautiful! I love healing waters- even being in the presence is a tonic.

Sharon said...

Such a beautiful place to visit. I can see how clear the water is. It's amazing.

Graham Edwards said...

It just looks so peaceful, so beautiful.

betty-NZ said...

That's truly a great place to see, we were there several years ago.

It's terrific to see you at 'My Corner of the World' this week!

My Corner of the World

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

This is very interesting. I like seeing the rights and beliefs of indigenous peoples being respected more and more.

Powell River Books said...

I have a friend in Powell River BC that came from New Zealand. Your photos make me want to come for a visit. - Margy

Taramakau River

  Last week B and I drove out to Dillmanstown which is a former mining settlement out Kumara way, about 20 minutes drive from Greymouth. We ...