Sunday 29 December 2019

Follow the signs...





It's now time for these guys to come out of hibernation in many parts of the country. These are our volunteer surf lifeguards - they do a fabulous job. While myself and many others are working they'll be patrolling our beaches and looking after swimmers. 



I read a news story last night about how there had been 71 preventable drownings in our country for 2019, not so much of people not knowing how to swim but more being caught in rips and swimming outside of the surf lifesaving flags. It includes those who go out in their boats without life jackets or working communication devices. It makes me wonder if those who ignore the signs are the ones who think they are above anything happening to them. Quite sad really...

8 comments:

Graham Edwards said...

It's the 'I'm invincible' attitude that many, and I'm sorry to say it predominantly men, have when it comes to being reckless about their own safety. My argument has always been that if you want to play with your own life that's fine but don't be so thoughtless for those left behind who have to pick up the pieces. By the way I have the very greatest of respect for the lifeguards.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Most likely did not think about it, it's their problem as long as they do not endanger other peoples lives. Problem is they do not think of the consiquences

William Kendall said...

A much needed job in many places.

At Home In New Zealand said...

Our lifeguards do an amazing job on our beaches. There would be a lot more drownings if they were not on duty.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

It *is* sad when people don’t respect the sea ... think how many more deaths and injuries there would be without those wonderful lifeguards!

local alien said...

When we were young I had never heard of rip tides but in 2004 when visited there were signs all over the beach and my brother told me about a couple of rescues he did with a kayak. I made darn sure my family swam between the flags.

Sharon said...

You are right, it is sad to think about. However, that beach is looking very appealing.

Rhonda Albom said...

The surf lifesavers do a great job. It's just sad that people aren't being too careful.

Queue

  I'm sure we've all stood in this same way at airports in our lives. This one features B and 2 tourists waiting for coffee at Auckl...