Wednesday 11 September 2019

Little town of lights




Kaiwaka known as the "little town of lights" is about 10 minutes from Mangawhai where we live. This road joins up our town to theirs but at the end is the state highway which runs through to Whangarei and the rest of Northland. The nicest shop there I think in my humble opinion is the Kaiwaka Cheese Shop, well known for it's specialty cheeses and gourmet food. Every time we go there my daughter and I stock up on Brie and Camembert. Last time I bought Farmhouse Smoked Brie which then went into stuffed portobello mushrooms.

Alot of the buildings are decorated with hanging lights which come out at night hence the name but it is a small town and originally it was a trading/commercial point from the late 1850s. As the kauri timber and and gum industries declined towards the end of the century dairy farming took over.

Linking up with My Corner of the World.

6 comments:

William Kendall said...

It looks like a pleasant spot.

Bill said...

Looks quiet there. I would definitely visit the cheese shop too, it sounds like a wonderful place .

betty-NZ said...

I find these little towns very interesting since most of them have a great story to tell.

Thanks for your link on 'My Corner of the World'! It's lovely to see you this week!


My Corner of the World

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I bet the cheese shop has people visiting from afar Amy, I would definitely be prepared to travel a little further for some of that brie and camembert 😉

Sharon said...

Something tells me that I would love that cheese shop.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh yumm, I’d love that cheese shop and those stuffed pirtabellas sound scrumptious.

ANZAC Day 2024

  Photo from 2014 of Mangawhai Cadets on Anzac Day Today for us Kiwis is ANZAC Day which is incredibly important to those of us in the sout...