Thursday 22 August 2019

The old Hikurangi Hotel




Last time we passed through Hikurangi I made a point of stopping outside the local historical hotel.  This baby is just outside Whangarei and is also known as "The Hika" and was established around 1882.

In 1862 about 12,000 acres of land was purchased for the Crown whose interest in the land was because of forests of totara, kauri, rimu etc on it's land. Transport roads were opened and the road to Whangarei in 1875 led to the start of the timber industry.

The hotel was built around this time when thirsty workers needed rest, food and lodgings. It's built from timber and has sash windows and originally there were other buildings also on the property such as a butcher's stop and stables. These days the hotel is privately owned and the only access that people have inside is in the public bar and bottle store.

Linking up with Skywatch Friday.

13 comments:

Bill said...

What a beautiful building. The hotel name looks great in red.

Susan Heather said...

In the early 1900's there were three coal mines in Hikurangi. Sorry - your heading is a typo. I was wondering which Hokianga Hotel you were posting about. Hope the job interview went well.

William Kendall said...

I like the look of it.

gz said...

I wondered about its history.
I wonder too,if there is forest re-planting of these beautifultrees

Amy said...

Thanks for letting me know, not sure what I was thinking...

Andy said...

Yes it's old but still looking good.

Sharon said...

That's a great looking place. I wonder if it could survive if it were converted back to a hotel. I love staying at historic hotels.

Joyful said...

I like these old buildings. That's one of the things I enjoyed about travelling to New Zealand and Australia long ago though probably a lot of these buildings are now gone.

Photo Cache said...

Looks good. The style of architecture reminds me of the old buildings in the gold country here in California.

Worth a Thousand Words

Spare Parts and Pics said...

What a cool old hotel. I like the two story balcony and the big windows.

Rhonda Albom said...

I've never passed by this hotel. History is so young here in NZ.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Although it is not a hotel, it is still useful. I love it when older buildings are repurposed.

gz said...

It is off the new main highway, just on the old one

Taramakau River

  Last week B and I drove out to Dillmanstown which is a former mining settlement out Kumara way, about 20 minutes drive from Greymouth. We ...