Tuesday 5 February 2019

St Paul's Anglican Church - Whangaroa




If this photo looks a little bit lop-sided it's because this little old church in Whangaroa was up the top of a very steep driveway near the top of a hill. I struggled to walk up the path and when I did I had to steady myself with a small tree nearby.

St Paul's Anglican Church has been in this spot for approx 125 years and when it was opened in 1883 people came by boat or walked for miles to get to the services. St Paul's has quite a history; it's witnessed the slow decline of the timber industry, a fire that burned the school that was originally in front of it and the building of the Whangaroa big gamefish club rooms and marina.

Unfortunately the doors were locked but services are still held today on the first Sunday of each month.

6 comments:

Bill said...

Pretty little church, it looks great for its age.

William Kendall said...

Pretty!

Susan Heather said...

What a lovely looking old church

Lady Fi said...

So pretty!

Billy Blue Eyes said...

That does look a very nice old church, it woul dbe nice to see inside. Like how they built it on a slope, it is it wood foundations or stone.

Graham Edwards said...

Despite visits to Whangaroa I don't recall this church. Given that Pauline and I sought out churches as often as we could I'm beginning to thing that either we failed miserably or, more likely, my memory is just very poor.

Eyes

In a nearby suburb in Greymouth I've been watching the reconstruction of this house and last week I saw that someone had painted a very ...