Saturday 18 August 2018

Saint Michael's Anglican Church, Ohaeawai



Last weekend B and I explored a bit more of the outer area of Kerikeri. This time we found an old church, one of the many that are dotted around New Zealand. This one is just before the tiny settlement of Ohaeawai - it's dated from 1871 and was built on the site of an old battle, the battle of Pene Taui's Pa in 1845.



The church was built by local Ngapuhi people and at the opening in 1872 the remains of soldiers killed in the early battle were moved there. Inside the church is an account of the fight and and a plaque listing all the names.

14 comments:

Andy said...

Over a hundred years old and the church is still looking good.

local alien said...

I love these old churches. Very nicely looked after

William Kendall said...

It wouldn't be out of place here.

DawnTreader said...

Looking very New Zealand - I say, without ever having visted NZ in person, only by other people's blogs... Greetings from Sweden! :)

PerthDailyPhoto said...

What a lovely church St Michael's is Amy, and so beautifully looked after.

Fun60 said...

I am glad the history of the building is accessible to all who enter the church.

Bill said...

What a very pretty church and still looking good after more than a century.
Re your question about the age of the church in Killybegs, it was opened and dedicated on 6th August 1854.

Amy said...

I'd say it's because the church is still being used for services every 2 weeks.

Susan Heather said...

We noticed it as we drove to the Hokianga last week. Where is your new header photo?

Amy said...

it's taken in Whangaroa harbour in April this year.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

That is such a nice looking church and churchyard

Susan Heather said...

I thought I recognised it.

vaiybora said...

I'am glad to read the whole content of this blog and am very excited,Thank you for sharing good topic.

ดูหนังออนไลน์

Graham Edwards said...

You are taking me on journeys I should know but can't remember properly. We drove from Keriker or Piahia over to Omapere I'm pretty sure and we usually stopped at every church there was to stop at. I really should have made notes of all the safaris instead of just relying on photos. Anyway, as always, I'm delighted to be along with you for the pictorial ride.

ANZAC Day 2024

  Photo from 2014 of Mangawhai Cadets on Anzac Day Today for us Kiwis is ANZAC Day which is incredibly important to those of us in the sout...