Monday 20 August 2018

Do you ever...?


A tiny caravan and dingy moored on Kaiaua beach - Winter this year on a stormy day.

Tell me something...do you ever doubt yourself that you can accomplish new things you've never done before? Growing up I use to think I was stupid but as I've gotten older (and I'm certainly not boasting that I"m intelligent in any way) I've realized that I'm one of those people who doesn't learn in conventional settings such as a classroom with a blackboard - I seem to learn better doing it myself in a hands on manner. The skills I've built up over the years have been from life experiences and I think that if I want to learn something I nut it out until I know I can do it.

Last week after being at my new job for less than 2 weeks I was promoted to being one of the 6 supervisors there. It makes me think that it's such an important role they must see something in me that the management think I can do well. I've had to work so hard in life to get where I am and to earn a wage so that I can provide for myself and when my children were younger. I'm kind of proud of myself that I've made it this far.

My question is: why are we so critical of ourselves when other people obviously see something different?

11 comments:

gz said...

Pirate says "Dunno"...
Perhaps we don't want to be seen as overblowing our own trumpet..but we need to have confidence in our abilities

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Huge congratulations Amy, people don't get promoted so fast if they aren't capable. Ever since I started reading your blog my impression has been that you are a confident woman, you certainly get things done! We really are our own worst critics, I know I am mine ☺

William Kendall said...

In some cases it can be self esteem issues that can lead to that.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

First off, congratulations on getting your promotion.
As far as your question is concerned. I have suffered an inferiority complex all my life but now that I am close to the end of my career I can see that maybe I wasn't as big an idiot as what I had thought.
When I learn stuff, the analytical side has got to match up with my "gut feeling" or it is not happening. Plus, watching, learning, and doing it myself is better than just reading about it. For example, I could never figure out how to do manual mode on my camera until I took a photography class, and then it was the "aha" thing as they light came on in a matter of minutes. I had been reading about it a lot, but having somebody show me band the light came on fast.
Take care, and have a good week!!

Bill said...

Congrats on your promotion, very cool! To answer your question, I think it is a lack of confidence but once we get comfortable with our situation our confidence increases, at least for me it did.
Nice photo and what a great header.

Amy said...

you sound like me, I can relate.

Amy said...

yes, I think it was that.

vaiybora said...

Wow !!! absolutely fantastic blog. I am very glad to have such useful information.

ดูหนังออนไลน์

Lady Fi said...

Congratulations on your promotion! And I love that tiny caravan.

NatureFootstep said...

I think I learn the same way as you. By doing it! Then you get experience and remebering. glad you were selected. Just go with the flow as they say. :)

Graham Edwards said...

Congratulations on your promotion. I think being critical of ones self can be a good thing provided that it is done with a positive outlook and purpose.

Blackwater School

When we first moved to Greymouth 2 years ago we visited the old abandoned gold mining town of Waiuta (I'll share the photos in another p...