Blackwater School

When we first moved to Greymouth 2 years ago we visited the old abandoned gold mining town of Waiuta (I'll share the photos in another post) and on the way there along the long country road was this old school which was in use when the town was occupied. 


Blackwater School was built in 1913 for the small mining, sawmilling and farming community in the area. When the local mines closed, the population of both Waiuta and Blackwater fell and the school eventually closed in 1949.

 



Recently the building was given to the community and the Blackwater School Restoration Group was formed to oversee the restoration and maintenance. Considering it was abandoned for many years I think it's in pretty good condition.

Linking up with Through my lensTuesday TreasuresMy corner of the world and Wordless Wednesday.

Comments

roentare said…
A great classroom look there
I remember sitting at desks like these when at school. I think we were in groups of ten and with the double desks I always ended up sitting next to a boy, both to my disgust and his. 😄
Pauline said…
Visiting old schools like that always makes me feel ancient when I remember I sat at desks like that and we dipped our pens in the ink wells. And one day John Casey dipped my plaints in his ink well and I got the cane for getting ink on my white school uniform blouse. I sometimes wonder what became of him.
s.c said…
Nice that that little school is still standing and preserved for the future.
local alien said…
A great place to visit
Fun60 said…
I feel as though I visited school when I was in New Zealand back in 2012. Maybe I'm wrong but it was definitely New Zealand.
Iris Flavia said…
Very interesting and wonderful it got restored!
Lydia C. Lee said…
Very cute #WWOT
magiceye said…
Such a pretty old school there!
Veronica Lee said…
It must be quite an experience to step into a classroom frozen in time like that.

Thanks for sharing, Amy!
Tom said…
...this is a classic one room school in a beautiful setting. Thanks for sharing it.
NCSue said…
Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2024/05/last-stop-at-library.html
Paspii said…
That´s very small but there´s something nice about it. I can´t quite put my finger on it.
A restored old school really does make you think about the history and the people who lived in these abandoned towns. I'm thinking especially about the ones who were there at the very end of its time, because it would be so odd as an adult to know that the school and town you grew up in didn't exist. (Those people really could still be alive -- I was in grade school in 1949 ;)))