Tuesday 19 September 2023

Womens Suffrage Day

 


On 19th September 1893 women in New Zealand won the right to vote in elections. As a result the country became the first self-governing country in the world to extend this right to ALL women. Suffrage day celebrates the aims of the movement for gender equality and is a reminder of the ongoing issue of equality for women. With our general elections coming up in October I hope everyone will use their right to vote.


This photo is so special for me. The lady is my great great grandmother Catherine McKenna who emigrated to New Zealand from Ireland in the 1870s and signed the suffrage list as it was gathering movement in the 1880s and 1890s - the baby she is holding is my grandmother on my mother's side Catherine Janet Dunlop.  

I've always been a strong minded person with an opinion, I come from a line of strong women of which I have raised my daughter to be the same. If we don't vote like our ancestors wanted us to then we are wasting all their hard work.


Linking up with Through my lensTuesday TreasuresMy corner of the world and Wordless Wednesday.

13 comments:

roentare said...

Great Great grandmother photo is definitely a treasure

Tigger's Mum said...

Last sentence - hear hear. I fully support that view.

s.c said...

Good for you.

gz said...

When you consider that it was November 1918 before women here could stand for parliament...and 1928 before women age 21 got the vote....

Bill said...

The photo is priceless and has a special place in your family history. How great that is!

NCSue said...

What a lovely photo - and an ancestor to be proud of.
Thank you for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/09/blooms-to-brighten-your-day.html

Iris Flavia said...

Why. Did I not learn this in school??
Thank you so much and I agree, not voting is not only dumb it is disrespectful to all who fought for our rights.
Lovely family photo, too.

local alien said...

That's a wonderfulfamily A photo you have. I'm very proud to have been brought up a kiwi. I spread the Woman's Voting story here. Another huge plus for a small nation

Tom said...

...women's right was and still is a BIG issue. Men and the church want to keep women in their place.

Pisi Prkl said...

In Finland women was allowed to vote in 1906. So you did it even earlier. Good for you!

Yvonne said...

What a wonderful photo of your great great grandmother and great grandmother. Old photos are so precious, as they disappear more and more everyday. My nieces and nephews could care less about photos before their time. The video was very interesting.

Klara said...

what a treasure your grand grand grandmother's photo.

William Kendall said...

Well worth marking.

Exercise

Photo from our travels through Taupo in the central north island of New Zealand - taken about 4 years ago.  These sculptures symbolizing exe...