Saturday 12 February 2022

Old Fox River Bridge

Another one from the West Coast. While we drove through the Punakaiki Coastline we stopped at the side of the road so I could take photos of the old Fox River Bridge. 


Although it's now closed for safety reasons I did a bit of digging into it's history. Apparently it was built around 1930 to cater for the growing gold mining industry which started in the 1960s. Nearby is a cave walk which is popular for cyclists and hikers that takes about 3 hours.

 
Photo from V.C. Browne and Son - taken between 1950 and 1959


This new Ngakawau bridge from what I've found out was built around 1988 and is made of concrete/steel etc and is alot more safer especially with the flooding that can occur in this area. I like the old one though, i think it has more character.

Linking up with Weekend Reflections and The Weekend Roundup.

13 comments:

Tigger's Mum said...

I love that bridge. I'm really loving your series on the West Coast - it is getting close to home and has lots of familiar territory for me.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Much prefer the old bridge, it has a lot more character

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

Es un viejo puente, que no deja de tener un especial atractivo.

Taken For Granted said...

The old bridge does have wonderful character. Hope it does get repaired and opened, at least for foot and cycle traffic.

At Home In New Zealand said...

The old bridge definitely looks more photogenic but I can appreciate the benefits of the new one as well. Pity our engineers cannot come up with something that does both :)

Bill said...

I like the old bridge too and hope they will at least make it a pedestrian bridge. That would be nice.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

My vote is for the old bridge with much more character. Have a lovely week ahead.

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiful old bridge. Weee, three hours, quite a walk! Glad they keep it.

William Kendall said...

The old bridge has character.

local alien said...

The old wooden one definitely has more character. I'd prefer to drive the new one though

Tom said...

...I enjoy bridges and the old one is neat. The taggers found the new to be a canvas for their work!

James said...

Interesting bridges. The top photo is really cool.

Betty J. Crow said...

The Old Fox River Bridge has a lot more character than the new one. Nice find! Happy Sunday!

Taramakau River

  Last week B and I drove out to Dillmanstown which is a former mining settlement out Kumara way, about 20 minutes drive from Greymouth. We ...