Tuesday 21 December 2021

Christmas tree competition

So my town every year has a pallet tree decorating competition, each business buys a Christmas tree cutout made of wood to decorate and put in their windows. The public is encouraged to vote for their favourite and although there are literally hundreds of trees this year I've only photographed a portion that I've seen. 


These ones are outside one of the local cafes where one of the organisations "Bald Angels" is run from. There is more information about their worthy cause here but basically they support children and youth throughout the region.


This one decorated with tinsel  and poinsettia is in the window of one of the shoe shops called Shoe Styles


We have 2 health shops in town, this is one of them called Hardy's but it looks like they have 2 trees in their window.


This one clearly advertises what business it belongs to - one of the two optometrists in town.


Yes we have bagels here, not my thing but this one shows a fun side to Santa, his elf and a reindeer outside a shop that makes and sells them.


They also have this grinch Christmas pallet in their front window.


This one covered in shoes, jandals and sandals is in the window of one of the many clothing shops. This one is calle eKo.


Last one seen by me is covered in kiwiana icons that are loved by many New Zealanders such as onion soup (we use it to make dip for chips), marmite and pineapple lumps in the window of Swift Conveyancing.

16 comments:

Fun60 said...

I like the bagel shop's effort the best.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

That is a fun and different decorating competition! Very creative. I best like the ones that actually made them Christmasy rather than simply advertising their shop.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

I was hoping for real Christmas Trees, they all look a bit naff

Bill said...

Very cool to have a competition between businesses, it gives them a chance to show their creativity. My favorite is the bagel shop's tree.

William Kendall said...

Very different.

NCSue said...

I think it would take me a while to get used to warm weather for the Christmas season, even though I fuss all winter long that I dislike the cold and the wintry precipitation.
Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2021/12/merry-christmas.html, and I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

Veronica Lee said...

How fun and creative!

I especially love the one covered with shoes!

Little Wandering Wren said...

What a great recycling of old pallets and a lovely community activity - they are all so creative!
Happy Christmas to you.
Wren x

Iris Flavia said...

Despite the darn guy outside making terrible noise you made me smile and smile and smile even more, thank you.
(If you don´t hear of me again I killed him and am in jail).

Andy said...

What a wonderful project to get people involved.
I have never seen anything like it before.

Tom said...

...these are fabulous, I've always wanted to made one. Amy, I hope the that you will enjoy this week leading up to Christmas.

magiceye said...

Lovely variety of decor!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I've never heard of pallet trees but after seeing your photos I am now a fan!!

Sharon said...

What a great idea to make these "trees" into little works of art or in some cases, advertising. I love the one with the Santa's.

local alien said...

You kiwis always come up with something different and fun. The pallet trees are lovely

Lillian "sognafaret" said...

All you are missing is snow

ANZAC Day 2024

  Photo from 2014 of Mangawhai Cadets on Anzac Day Today for us Kiwis is ANZAC Day which is incredibly important to those of us in the sout...